The Woods | Teen Ink

The Woods

March 26, 2018
By i_like_fortnite BRONZE, Ionia, Michigan
i_like_fortnite BRONZE, Ionia, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I feel the blood run and mix with sweat and rain on my beat red face, the exact opposite of my cool blue eyes. I run from tree to tree. I can hear them wail my name like the cry of a newborn baby just entering  the world. I’ve been running for a whole minute and still cannot see an end to the woods. The fog is too dense to see anything for that matter.
I stop for a second to catch my breath. I instantly regretted that as I looked at my hand that had a huge cut on it. It reminded me of a memory I had as a kid, when I tried using a knife for the first time. My mom freaked out while dad said I’d be fine. I had to get five stitches after that. Good times. I look up and all I see were trees and fog. I hear crows chirping, and the light drizzle of rain but nothing more. I heard their cry again behind me, I turned around and I knew they were coming. I go the exact opposite way,and turn my head. Right into a branch.


4 hours prior

“Liam come on! We’ll be right back! I promise” Sabryna shouted, her flashlight growing distant. I always trusted my friends and they trusted me. But this was different. This was something no one should do.
“I’m not moving. We shouldn’t have ever came here.” 
You’re probably wondering what I’m talking about so I’ll start from the beginning.
The beginning starts with Sabryna Bing, my older sister. Kyle Soring , my lifelong best friend. Peyton Lowen, Sabryna's best friend, and myself, Liam Bing, all went on a trip to Japan for our summer vacation. We were planning visiting Tokyo and seeing the sights. And we did, we went to stores, learned about their culture, and even made a few new friends.  But that Wasn't enough for my sister. She wanted to explore Aokigahara. Also known as “suicide forest”. She heard rumors of it being haunted by 13 ghosts from the locals. Even worse...she wanted to do it at night. And her being the oldest… she is the boss. Unfortunately for us our car crash in a ditch. No one was hurt but the car was was totaled and pieces were everywhere of the dull silver  SUV.
Her flashlight is hardly visible now. I decided I wasn’t just going to sit there. I Take out my phone and turn the flashlight on.
“Wait up guys!” I shout. “Don’t leave me!”
It’s about 5 a.m, the sun is already peeking up over the horizon, and we’ve been walking for approximately ten minutes. We haven’t seen much other than a few camping sites. But we started hearing a noise every once in awhile. It  sounded like rattling chains but I can’t say for sure. We continue walking but all of a sudden our flashlight  dies. And everything becomes so much more clear, we can hear the crows chirp, the wind run, and the trees dance.
Then a scream. I turn around and see Peyton being hung up in a tree by what seemed to be chains and disappear. 
“Run!” I hear Kyle yell, “We have to go!”
I hear sabryna scream and I look back and she is getting dragged in a tree. I start sprinting back but she is already gone. And I look to see Kyle already distant. I take off in his direction still hearing screams that seemed to come from everywhere. Than something grabs my waist.
“Kyle!” I try yelling but it’s already too late. “Help!”
I rest my eyes as I get slowly hung up by chains. I struggle but I am not strong enough.  It was my turn. I look around. What I saw made my skin crawl, I couldn’t explain it. Maybe about 13 ghost...just as the locals said. Each very similar as they had dirty clothes and blood on them.  They formed a circle under me and drew a triangle. Unknowing if Sabryna or Peyton saw this too.
“No!” I scream. They had soothing voices as one said,
“Rest easy.”
And soon they all chanted the same thing.
“Rest Easy.”
I felt everything tighten up around my neck and I start to choke. And then that’s when my suffering ended.

I feel the blood run and mix with sweat and rain on my beat red face, the exact opposite of my cool blue eyes. I run from tree to tree. I can hear them wail my name like the cry of a newborn baby just entering  the world. I’ve been running for a whole minute and still cannot see an end to the woods. The fog is too dense to see anything for that matter.
I stop for a second to catch my breath. I instantly regretted that as I looked at my hand that had a huge cut on it. It reminded me of a memory I had as a kid, when I tried using a knife for the first time. My mom freaked out while dad said I’d be fine.
I had to get five stitches after that.
Good times.
I look up and all I see were trees and fog. I hear crows chirping, and the light drizzle of rain but nothing more. I heard their cry again behind me, I turned around and I knew they was coming. I go the exact opposite way,and turn my head. Right into a branch.
I awoke in a ditch. Covered in blood.
“Hello?” I question and hear it echo back.
“Anyone out there?”
It was very dense woods I get up and start walking. It wasn’t long before I came across a road.  There seemed to  a roadside park but no one was there. I decided I was going to follow the road until I found something. And something is what I found.
After about an hour I found the city of Fujigane. It was there I got the help I needed. I slowly remembered what happened. My best friends older sister’s friend getting hung in a tree and me saying run.  I don’t know what happened to the rest.
“Kyle,” the officer said. “Do you have any clue if you’re friends are out there?”
I reply with a a quick, “No,” followed by, “I haven’t seen them since they were taken...”

10 years later

“I don’t wanna go! The things are out there I swear!” I shout so the whole world hears me.
“We’ll be right back! I promise. Ghosts aren’t real.” My friend says trying to convince me.
But only if they knew... what hides in those woods.