Trapped | Teen Ink

Trapped

By beells50 SILVER, Rolla, Missouri
beells50 SILVER, Rolla, Missouri

As I start to make the popcorn the lights turn off.  The silence feels like a black cloud, closing in on me.  I hear Jackson’s heavy footsteps in the hallway.  “Blair?  Are you okay?”  Jackson calls from the living room.
“Yeah, you?”  I ask the darkness.
“I’m good,”  I hear him say right in front of me.  “Ooof,” Jackson cries as he walks into me.  I stumble back.  “Sorry Blair,” he mumbles as he helps me up.
“It’s fine,” I reply.  “We must’ve tripped a breaker.  I’ll have to go out back to check.”
“You can’t, we’re snowed in!”  He exclaims, as if I haven't noticed that the temperature is already dropping in the house.
“Well, what are we going to do?”  I ask.
“Put coats on, find something to scoop with, and try to shovel our way out.”
“Okay,”  I reply, already heading for the cabinets.  Jackson runs to the closet, and I gather bowls, buckets, spoons, and spatulas.  Jackson returns with three coats on and more in his hands. 
“Here put these on,” he tells me, taking the bucket from my hands.  I put on the coats, and Jackson waddles over to the door, heavy with his many layers.  “Ready?” he asks.
“Let’s do this,”  I tell him.  Jackson turns the handle and pulls on the door.  The handle doesn’t turn.  He grips the handle and twists with all his might, but the door still won’t budge.

10 days later, cops remove the bar of wood across the door and enter the house.  Two delirious teenagers are found and loaded into ambulances to be taken to the hospital to be reunited with their parents, who were on a cruise off the coast of Mexico.