Man’s Best Friend | Teen Ink

Man’s Best Friend

By Katelyn Murtha SILVER, Vernon, Connecticut
Katelyn Murtha SILVER, Vernon, Connecticut

“It’s such a wonderful day out Owen!” exclaimed Cole.

“I bet it is! It sure looks beautiful from this window, I can almost feel the breeze flowing through my bones.” Owen said while pulling the brown curtain aside.

“We’re so lucky for this wonderful world man. To be able to look out the comfort of our own window and see all of the amazing trees and sky. Mother nature has sure blessed us, she even gave us dogs.” Cole beamed.

“I totally agree with you, she gave me you Cole. You’re my best friend!” Owen exclaimed.

“I love you Owen!” said Cole.
“I love you too Cole!” Owen replied.
“Owen, what do you think we should do today?” Cole asked.
“Look at the neighbor's dog through the window?” Owen suggested.
“Sounds like a magnificent idea friend.” Owen said.

Cole walked over to the kitchen and grabbed the red box of crackers. The color red reminded him of something, maybe his mom.
“Hey Owen, do you remember when mom and dad got into that terrible accident when I was ten years old? It’s been over twenty years.” asked Cole while smiling out the window eating the crackers.
“Of course I do. There was blood everywhere, so much blood Cole. We could have bathed in it.” Owen said with no remorse.
“Hey Owen, you aren’t going to leave me like mom and dad right? I can’t be alone again, I just can’t.” Cole asked quietly.
“Of course not Cole, I’ll never leave you. I promise.” Owen said while looking into Coles green eyes reassuringly.
The two both stood in silence for the rest of the day. Owen and Cole continued to look out the window until nightfall. This was their daily routine.

* * *
“Cole wake up! Wake up!” Owen yelled.
Cole awoke once he heard Owen. He rubbed his eyes groggily and saw Owen’s hollowed eyes.
“Goodmorning Owen, how did you sleep? What’s up?” He said.
“I have an extraordinary idea! It’s amazing!” Owen beamed.
“Well tell me, I can’t wait any longer!” Cole prompted.
He looked at his friend and hoped the idea was as amazing as it sounded. He was getting impatient.
“Okay, I know you don’t like going outside because the world is a horrible place but… “
“Spill it Owen!”
“Alright, alright! It’s getting lonely in here. I think we need a new friend and I know of the perfect candidate!” Owen blurted.
“That sounds like an amazing idea Owen!I think I have the perfect candidate too!” Cole exclaimed.
“Were you thinking of the amazing fluffy dog next door?” he asked.
“Yes! He’ll be perfect. It’ll be perfect, I’ll never be alone again. He’ll love us and we’ll love him!” Cole said while smiling exposing his yellow teeth.
Silence devoured the room whole and left the two in thought.
“Cole how are we going to get him? We have to go outside, what if we get hurt? I can’t lose you.” Owen babbled.
Cole had the perfect plan. It was bullet proof. He hoped Owen would approve.
“Alright, I have it. We have to leave the house.” Cole prompted.
“Do you think it’ll work?” he asked.
“It has to. It will.” Cole stated.
The pair sat on the floor and smiled back at each other. It was going to happen. They were going to get a new friend.
“When are we going to go get him?” Owen exclaimed.
“Tomorrow. I can’t wait to hold him.”

* * *
“Owen wake up! It’s time, it’s time!” Cole shouted.
Cole took a deep breath and started to unlock the many deadbolts. He glided his long yellow nails over the knob and pulled the door wide open. A breeze of air slightly tousled his matted greasy hair. Cole opened his eyes and saw the blue sky. He headed outside.

“Let’s go!” Cole whispered.
The pair walked to the back and hopped the fence. Once they were over they looked around. It was a normal house. The dog was laying under a tree with a green ball in his mouth. The neighbors weren’t outside.
“The dog is so cute.” Cole gasped.
The dog gnawed on the ball until he saw Cole and Owen. He looked up at them and let out a quiet bark.
“Aw, he wants to talk to us! He likes us already!” Cole gleamed.
“I want to give him a hug!” Cole said while getting closer to the dog.
He inched closer to the dog and he started growling and barking. Cole crouched to the ground and wrapped his arms around the dog. The dog started to bark even louder.
“Buddy! Are you okay?”
Cole began to squeeze harder and tighter.
“Buddy!Buddy! Where are you?” the lady yelled.
She walked closer and put her hands over her mouth. She let out a loud gasp.
“Honey come here! Come here !” the woman said.
“What is it? What?” the man questioned until he saw Cole.
“It’s… it’s the man from next door.”
“Can you please put my dog down?” the woman said shakily.
Cole saw fear in their eyes and let the dog go.
“Your dog is so cute. Owen and I both love him so much, don't we Owen?” Cole said happily.
“Who's Owen? Who are you talking to?” the woman said confused as to what Cole was talking about.
“What do you mean? I’m not alone. Owen’s right here, he wouldn’t leave me alone he promised.” Cole stated with reassurance.
“There’s no one next to you. Look.” the man said condescendingly.
Cole looked to the right of him. There was no one there. Where had Owen gone?
“You said you wouldn’t leave me!” Cole said while putting his hands around his head.
“You said you wouldn’t leave me like the others.”
“Honey, should we call the police?” the lady said while looking at her partner then at Cole.
“I’m so confused. Where did he go? He wasn’t supposed to leave me.” Cole said as his voice was drifting off.
He took one last final glance down at the grass. All he saw was grass. Have I been alone this whole time?
A single tear slid down his pale face.