Chapter 1 "The unsaid words" | Teen Ink

Chapter 1 "The unsaid words"

Have you ever seen a floor covered in blood? At first glance, there is a simple beauty to it and how the red contrasts with the white linoleum. It doesn't immediately register that what you're looking at is actually blood. Slowly, a stiffness builds up in your body as your mind begins to realize that the beauty is actually life's essence. Then, what was a simple beauty becomes repulsion. Seeing Kylen laid out with a meter-wide red polka dot under him wasn't beautiful. It was downright hysterical. Not hysterical as in funny, hysterical as in I can't control my reaction. I remember looking at Dennis who stared back at me dumbfounded as he had just walked into the living room from taking a nap, only to see Kylen lying there lifelessly on the now red stained carpet, his blood slowly seeping into the cracks of the flooring, making their way under the green couch.

I stood there, unsure of what to say. It just happened all too quickly for me to even ponder on what had occurred. It was almost like the Flash had came in and done this, but we both knew very well that that wasn't the case. I tried to recall what could have been the cause of Kylen's death for it to happen this fast, but to no avail.

I faintly heard Dennis slowly breathing out, he narrowed his eyes at me and began to speak, “Shawn. . .you didn't do this...Right?”

I gave a look at Dennis that asked if he was joking as I had thrown my hands out a few inches away from my sides, “What?! Why would you ask something like that? Do you see a weapon in my hands? Let alone, any holes on Kylen's body? I'm just as confused as you are!” I quickly exclaimed, pointing out the fact that Kylen indeed, didn't have any holes on his body.

Dennis quickly shook his head. “No, no. I don't think you did this, but I just...wanted to make sure. There's nobody else in here apart from us and Gracie.” He replied as he slowly backed into the kitchen. He must be calling an ambulance, his pressing of the buttons were rather loud.

I looked up at the stairs across from me. That's right. Gracie is here too. How are we suppose to tell her that her all time favorite monster killing Father is dead? And what are we suppose to say killed him, if not even we know?

Red and white flashing lights glowed inside the dimly lite room as the ambulance had arrived, snapping me out of my worries about Gracie. Dennis opened the door to let the staff inside and I quickly moved away from Kylen's body, not wanting them to think that I was the cause of this as they rushed over and placed Kylen on a stretcher.

A paramedic was questioning Dennis at the front door, possibly trying to figure out what had happened. I was about to go over to him and back up him, until a paramedic came over to me as well.

“Do you know what happened? We can't seem to find any sources of what could have caused this young man to die so suddenly.” The paramedic asked.

“No sir. Me and Kylen were just sitting here, watching the daily news when next thing I know, Kylen's on the floor and not responding, blood coming out of his mouth.” I answered honestly. The paramedic looked sympathetic, but I couldn't quite tell with his mask around his mouth and his blue and white hat on his head, only his olive green eyes were visible.

“Very well then.” The paramedic said as he looked back at his crew, seeing them taking Kylen out of the house and into the back of the ambulance. “Everything will be alright.” He told me, reassuring me as he headed out, did a quick nod at Dennis and hopped into the ambulance's passenger seat as the ambulance went off in turn to the hospital.

“Come on now, go wake up Gracie. We're going to the hospital to see what they'll find out so we can rest worry free...hopefully.” Dennis told me as he rushed upstairs into his room to get his car keys.

I heaved a sigh of frustration. I hated having to wake my little sister up from her slumber. I just want her to get a full nights rest, is that too hard to ask of? Shaking my head, I hurriedly went into her room, shook her awake softly and helped her get dressed while explaining what just happened without freaking her out.

~~~~

I don't remember much after that, other than the hospital ruled it out as a natural cause of death, not bothering to tell us which one it was. I think they just claimed it was a natural cause of death because they didn't really know themselves. Then, I faintly recall the fear I had built up inside me as I was separated from Gracie and Dennis.

Since we had no other form of relatives nearby that wanted to take us in, we were taken to an orphanage in our hometown of Denmark.

I remember seeing Gracie all teary eyed and hugging at her bear as she was trying to reach out for me as FBI agents were taking her and Dennis from me. I even saw a hint of regret and sorrow in Dennis's eyes, one
who never showed emotions in front of me and Gracie, in fear that if he did, it would only make us think that he wasn't as tough as we always thought he was with him being the eldest brother among the family.

If I'd of known that would be the last time I'd ever see, touch and hear from the both of them again, I would of taken my time with walking to school with Gracie everyday, not caring if we were late to class.

I would of taken the patience to learn karate from Dennis at home and be able to break a wooden board with the palm of my hand, even if my hand would be throbbing after I'd of broken the board.

I would of hugged the both of them tighter that night as we waited in the waiting room to hear the result from Kylen's death, trying to make the hug seem reassuring to them that everything would indeed be alright.If only what the paramedic had told me was true.

If only someone would of told me something like this would happen to us, I would have been prepared for the worse.

This is a chapter from one of my newest books titled "The Letter". As you can tell, this section focuses on a boy named Shawn and what happened one night when his uncle Ken lost his life and it gives you the background of how he became an orphan in an orphanage.