Her First Music Box | Teen Ink

Her First Music Box

January 10, 2018
By deVriesA GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
deVriesA GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

December 25th, 5:43 a.m., Grandma’s house. She woke up with this innocent sparkle in her eyes and heart that made the house shine brighter than ever. After she made her way through all her siblings, her parents and grandparents room, she ran so fast downstairs she just about skipped a step. Her mouth opened wider and wider as she turned the corner and saw the stacks and sacks of gifts. Grandma made her way downstairs in her silk housecoat. Grandpa made his way down a few minutes later in those slippers that were so worn out they had holes in the heels. The other kids and the little girl’s parents came down with the new robes Grandma gave them last night. As the grandfather clock chimes sounded at 6:00 a.m. the little girl was squirming around with the biggest smile on her face begging her grandma if she could open a present. When she got the okay there was no stopping her. She sped so fast for the big box standing by the fireplace. After a few more of her gifts were opened Grandma went and picked me up. “ Amelia come here I have a special gift for you.” Amelia’s face lit up as she made her way over to the couch where grandma was sitting. “ You have to be careful Amelia it’s very breakable!” As Amelia took me out of the paisley covered box grandma put me in, Amelia’s smile widened like a helium balloon. Grandma handed her the key to unlock me for the first time. The music started and I knew it was time to shine, I felt so alive although I am just a porcelain ballerina spinning in a music box. Amelia sat dazed and amazed, that was the day I knew she would be my best friend. Amelia listened to the soft music every night and watched me dance to fall asleep. I went to grandma’s house whenever Amelia went. I felt like grandma’s granddaughter too. Soon Amelia was off to New York City on a scholarship to the New York Ballet, she took me with her and I sat on her nightstand in her dorm room waiting for her to get back from practice. One day a new man came into the room and it wasn’t Amelia’s dad it was a younger guy, she smiled the same way she smiled the first time she saw me. After a few weeks, I was opened less and he stayed over more. I didn’t like him very much so when he opened me up I didn’t play the music and I didn’t dance. He told Amelia I was broken! Only a day later Amelia opened me up, I was still so upset so I played the music soft and danced very slowly.Little did I know that was the last time I would ever see Amelia again. That night he told her to throw me out cause I wasn’t working anymore. He locked me up and threw me and my key in the garbage. I worked just fine she just didn’t love me anymore.


The author's comments:

This about a little girl receiving her first Music box and cherrishing it all through her childhood. When she meets a boy he tells her to through it away and she doesn't think twice about it.