Within the Walls of Dairy Queen | Teen Ink

Within the Walls of Dairy Queen

January 10, 2018
By valhal BRONZE, Muskego, Wisconsin
valhal BRONZE, Muskego, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

POV 1

Aight, so here I am walkin' into Dairy Queen lookin' fly as hell. I got my gold chain on and the iciest watch on the market. I'm thinkin' to myself "Damn, I best be gettin' this job". Being an aspiring rapper ain't easy so I figured I gotta make a livin' while I make myself known. You know what they say: the best of the best always start from the bottom. So I go up to the register and I see this fine female. A straight up dime. So I ask her where the manager at. She leaves to get this guy and I can't help but look back at it if you know what I'm sayin'. Then she comes back with this old dude, but he seemed pretty chill so I was cool with it. We went to the office for the interview and I scored this job hella hard! Catch me workin' at DQ with this good lookin' honey. Also, peep my music on Soundcloud. 

 

POV 2

Ugh! I can't believe my mom made me apply to work at this stupid Dairy Queen. I'm only 15! I don't need a job yet considering I'll be working for the rest of my freaking life. Anyways, I dragged my feet into the poorly maintained restaurant and went to the cashier (who looked like a complete b****) and asked for the manager. So, she went back to go get him, and I couldn't help but notice how grossly short her shorts were. How could that possibly be following the dress code? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this sad excuse of a place didn't even have one. So, the girl came back with the manager, and I could tell something was off about this guy. He was old and greasy and very out of it. Maybe he was one drugs. Once again, I wouldn't be surprised. Anyways, he brought me back for an interview and of course I got hired. The manager said I have "the brains". Uh yeah. I'm probably smarter than the entire Dairy Queen staff combined. Catch me slaving away in their nasty kitchen against my will. Yuck! 


The author's comments:

This piece captures the exact same story through two very different point of view. POV 1 is through the eyes of an enthusiastic person who is trying to make it in the music industry, whereas POV 2 is through the eyes of a moody and sarcastic teenager. I enjoy this piece because it really shows how a story can be turned aroung simply by the type of character who's portraying it.