Within the Walls of Dairy Queen | Teen Ink

Within the Walls of Dairy Queen

By valhal BRONZE, Muskego, Wisconsin
valhal BRONZE, Muskego, Wisconsin

POV 1

Aight, so here I am walkin' into Dairy Queen lookin' fly as hell. I got my gold chain on and the iciest watch on the market. I'm thinkin' to myself "Damn, I best be gettin' this job". Being an aspiring rapper ain't easy so I figured I gotta make a livin' while I make myself known. You know what they say: the best of the best always start from the bottom. So I go up to the register and I see this fine female. A straight up dime. So I ask her where the manager at. She leaves to get this guy and I can't help but look back at it if you know what I'm sayin'. Then she comes back with this old dude, but he seemed pretty chill so I was cool with it. We went to the office for the interview and I scored this job hella hard! Catch me workin' at DQ with this good lookin' honey. Also, peep my music on Soundcloud. 

POV 2

Ugh! I can't believe my mom made me apply to work at this stupid Dairy Queen. I'm only 15! I don't need a job yet considering I'll be working for the rest of my freaking life. Anyways, I dragged my feet into the poorly maintained restaurant and went to the cashier (who looked like a complete b****) and asked for the manager. So, she went back to go get him, and I couldn't help but notice how grossly short her shorts were. How could that possibly be following the dress code? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this sad excuse of a place didn't even have one. So, the girl came back with the manager, and I could tell something was off about this guy. He was old and greasy and very out of it. Maybe he was one drugs. Once again, I wouldn't be surprised. Anyways, he brought me back for an interview and of course I got hired. The manager said I have "the brains". Uh yeah. I'm probably smarter than the entire Dairy Queen staff combined. Catch me slaving away in their nasty kitchen against my will. Yuck! 

This piece captures the exact same story through two very different point of view. POV 1 is through the eyes of an enthusiastic person who is trying to make it in the music industry, whereas POV 2 is through the eyes of a moody and sarcastic teenager. I enjoy this piece because it really shows how a story can be turned aroung simply by the type of character who's portraying it.