My Life | Teen Ink

My Life

By nickygilt BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
nickygilt BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

My Life
By: Nicky
             One of my first memories was when my siblings and I were climbing over and on top of each other. I don't really remember the visual part but all I know if that I was warm and cozy. A couple of months, later I was separated from my mother and siblings I don’t know why or how but I vividly remember being passed to an older dude with a very distinct gross smell, he didn’t look like he took care of himself much, he had very yellow; chipped teeth, he had red-ish eyes, and the black portion of his eyes were  large. He had tiny red, bleeding dots on his forearm, where the elbow could bend. He didn’t look very happy, but he was taking care of me from now on I guess!
I walked in to my new home and walked around like I owned the place. There was white powder on the counters and dollar bills coiled up into tight cylinders with a credit card beside it; this dude was rich! He would sniff the white powder with his buddies that who came over and they would just lie on the couch which was a little weird, they weren’t old?
A couple of months went by with the same routine. I started getting a lot taller! Up to my owner’s knees! Soon though, we were living on the streets and he was begging for money, no clue why. Weeks went by; I was kind of getting bigger but I was also getting skinnier. He picked me up off of the ground I was laying by and took me to the back of this shelter? I remembered an intense smell of dog! It frightened me because I’ve never really been around dogs or people, as a matter of fact.  They were talking about surrendering me? I had a feeling I wasn’t going to see this dude ever again.
Right when I entered the shelter, apparently called Unleash Pet Rescue, they put me in a room with two women, one in the teens, other in the twenties, and an older man in his forties.  I was a bit shy at first, I didn’t really know how to react. The girl in her teens came up to me in a soothing manner and started petting me really lightly. I instantly fell in love with her; she started scratching behind my ear and just all over! I think she liked me too because she took me home! On the car ride there, I stuck my head out of the window, It was a crazy feeling!
I got home and saw this crazy little white fluffy ball that moved all over the place!!! It was a dog!!! We never really got along much, I just try to play with him, he just bites me, though. My new owner, Nicky, started calling me good boy, or Max! She made me do these crazy tricks like whisper, speak, and roll over! They are the best; they give me the love and attention I always yearned for. I’ve grown a lot with them, and I never sleep on an empty stomach.