A Shoemaker's Dream | Teen Ink

A Shoemaker's Dream

By TheHandSlingingSlasher SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
TheHandSlingingSlasher SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier."

A Shoemaker's’ Dream

Once upon a time, back in the day of kings and queens, lived a shoemaker who lived in his store with his family. The shoemaker's’ name was Charles, and he was a tall, gentle, and loving man. He lived with his wife, Marie, and son, Eric. They didn’t have a lot of money, but Charles would sacrifice anything to make sure that his family would have food on the table and a roof over their heads. Although they didn’t have much to give in physical things, they had tons of love and joy to give. Charles and his family lived on a hill, the higher you are on the hill the richer you are and the lower you live the less money you have. The king, however, lives all the way at the top and can choose to take anyone’s house below them for whatever reason he pleases. This however always frightens Charles due to the fact that he could potentially lose his shoemaking store and his house.
Marie and Eric would go around the village on the hill asking if they need shoes or shoe repairs. They would then send the customers to their store, and with a joyful smile Charles would meet every single one the customers, and with the great prices of shoes, they would always come back. Now this was a daily thing but every month the king would take one of Charles’ neighbor's house. Every month that passes, Charles grows more and more nervous about when the king would take his house. The shoemaker would work up to all night to be able to provide for his family, at times we wouldn’t even sleep to be able to get some shoes made and repaired. When Charles did have the time to sleep he would always dream of what it was like to be king and having no worries. Although he would be a more caring king and tend to those who are struggling like himself.
After seven months of a routine of Charles and his family, they’ve noticed that day in particular something was off. They went to see if anyone was around, and they found no one. All of the neighbors were gone. Charles was so scared to lose his house and lose an opportunity to provide for his family. He already knew this day would soon come, he just didn’t know when that day would be. That night Charles had to tell Marie and Eric to pack their things, since they will lose their home soon. They all were very heartbroken. They all went to bed not knowing what’s in store for tomorrow. Charles stayed up all night praying that they wouldn’t lose their house. The next morning they received a letter. It’s from the king, Charles is needed in the palace as soon as possible.
Charles arrives at the palace and is escorted to the Kings’ room. The king is very ill, and is very close to passing. The king tells Charles that his queen is infertile and is unable to have children, and that he’s been trying to get in contact with Charles ever since the news of the queen arose. The king told Charles of his plan to take everyone’s house in the lower village of the hill to see if he one day comes across him and his family. He tells him that they were separated at birth and they are brothers. He wants to pass down the crown to his brother since he can’t pass down the crown to a child of his. The king also apologizes for keeping this a secret for over 20 years. He recognizes that Charles is loving and charismatic, and knows his kingdom would be run better than he has ever done. Charles is taken back home on a horse drawn carriage and greets his family with tears and tells them they are moving up there and points at the castle. They are the new royal family and now they don’t have to worry about money problems any more, although they are now rich and wealthy they will never forget where they came from. Charles, now king, will now live in honor and will pass down the crown to little Eric who will also learn the ways of life. Right then and there is where Charles knew, dreams do come true. The End.
This will certify that the above work is completely original.
Sergio Gomez