A Cat's Adventure | Teen Ink

A Cat's Adventure

December 12, 2017
By AliceB BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
AliceB BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Note from human editor: Hi. I am here to guide you a bit through this story that may or may not be entirely true. I will post notes to help you navigate this cat’s fantasy world. Thank you and try to enjoy it.

I am officially a portal traveler! My paws have been in other worlds. I am just visiting this one, and I might come back. Okay, let me tell you from the beginning. I started out living with an old cat who told stories about other places far away, and how he had been to them all. Before my mother was taken away, she told me that Cloudy (the blind old cat, did I tell you he was blind?) was a bit eccentric, and I shouldn't believe everything he said. Well, I think Cloudy was right! He is one of those felines no one believes because of his age and stuff like that.
Okay. So, one day, I was just sitting there by my home near what some cats call a farm, and a big cagey-rolley-monstery-thing comes up in a cloud of dust (the first portal).
 

(Probably a car, all those who are confused and want the truth)

 

  I didn't know what to do, so I just sat there. A common cat would have run away, but I’m not afraid of anything! So I sat, my fur billowing in the gust the… creature had created. A huge thing came out! A… hyoo-man I think felines call it. Anyway, when the creature came toward me, I yelled up to it, “What are you doing here?” and just like that, it grabbed me and hustled me into the rumbling thing! Okay, I have to admit, I was a little scared, but I didn't show it… well I was trembling.
The unseen forces brought me into a place full of bright lights, and I could barely make out anything, only smelling strange smells and hearing strange sounds. Some time later, when my eyesight had recovered, I found myself rudely put in a force field made of black bars that I couldn't slash my invincible claws through! Well, I guess they're not that invincible. The stupid humans were afraid of me, the mighty lion, and but me in this impenetrable force!
Suddenly I heard a mew behind me. I turned around from the bright lights that shone through my prison.
“Are ya new here?” said a cat whose black spots over her ears and back made her seem only partially there. I twitched my ears at this stranger. Who was she?
“Ahem! Would ya stop staring and answer?”
“Uh… I’m…” I quickly thought of a good name to be in this unknown world (I mean, it had to have been another world, right?). I can’t trust everyone! “I’m Speck.” Okay, I know it’s not a great name, but what would you have said? Okay, okay, enough. Let me tell the story.
The she-cat scratched  her ear. “What kind of name is that?” How rude! I resented my bad name-making skills. “I’m Ruby.” she said, her yellow-green eyes flashing a bit mischievously.
Her cell was a few pawsteps away from mine. I began to realize all the little furry jingly things scattered around the bottom of my cage thing. “What is this place?” I asked her, pawing at one of the objects in front of me.
“The pet store.” She said casually. “It’s better than a kennel, am I right?” I was confused. Then, I realized what I had found. I was in the world of Petstore! No wonder it was so strange here. I was lucky to have found another cat.
(World of Petstore? Okay, I’ll stop trying. Just listen and try to follow along)
“Wow! What is it like here? In this place?”
She looked at me as if I had come from another world, which, I had… I need to rethink my similes.
“It’s a pet store,” she said, like I was the dumbest cat in the world. “You’ve never been to one before?”
“Well, I’ve never been to one, probably because I’m from another world.” I tried to make myself sound cool, like it was easy and I had done it many times before.
“That’s it. I’m talking to someone else. You're a bit to crazy for my liking.” She turned away and sat, starting to lick her paw indifferently.
“Wait! Aw, come on!” I tried to get her attention, but she had started a conversation with some other cat already.
I groaned, trying to find something to do (I can only sit still for a few moments at most without talking. Then, I saw another human pass by the cage. It had another creature on a long thingie to keep it close. I took another look… the creature was a dog! I have tried to start a conversation of even say hi to a dog, but all I get is either a bunch of annoying barking, or a chase up into a tree! I haven't gotten along too well with them. Why did they have to be in this world? The dog started going toward me, it’s tongue lolling and drool dripping down. Ruby, in the next cage, backed away, hissing and spitting, though I could see she was scared. As the dog came close, I arched my back and bared my teeth, hissing ferociously, because I told you I’m not afraid of anything. The human pulled the creature away, because I am the fearless lion (or tiger, whichever you prefer) and all shall bow before me!
Ruby edged toward me, her fur still standing on end. “That was… impressive.”
“Impressive for a little cat like you!” said a voice beyond Ruby’s cage. said a  scruffy tomcat whose blue eyes shone, peering through all the orange fur that covered his broad face.
“Thanks,” said I, happy to be the center of attention. Maybe it was too much attention, because soon a human (smaller than the other stupid ones I had seen) came toward my prison cell and hollered something noisily. And what happened next was stranger than my first portal travel. The cage was opened, and I was whisked away into an even smaller cell, and I went through another portal! There were so many smells and sounds, I couldn't give all the details if I tried.

Note from human editor: This cat may think he is traveling between worlds, but I think he is a bit eccentric, so don't believe everything. He may just be traveling from place to place, but it’s a fun story, so I won’t ruin the fun. Maybe.

 

I would tell more, but I have to go and resume my work. Ever since my discovery of portal traveling, I have studied humans and what they do, which is very, very strange if you ask me.  Thank you for listening to my amazing story, and I wish you good travels (into other worlds… oh yeah! Only I can do that, but I don't know why…). Bye!


The author's comments:

It is a chapter of a comedy-adventure story told from the perspective of a kitten as he is wisked off to different parts of his journey.