bye masta | Teen Ink

bye masta

By Jemima SILVER, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Jemima SILVER, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Gotta be up before the sun is. Gotta make sure that baby fed and aint crying so it dont wake up masta. Gotta make the eggs bacon grits and toast so masta and the family is well fed. Gotta clean the house before masta leaves his room. Can’t call him nothing but masta.

Switch

If i don’t do this before masta is dressed and ready for the day he gon make me get the switch. My baby was only 3, he was too sick to move. Masta hit em on the back cause he was sick. I cried while i held him in my arms rockin him.

“they privileged but you aint.”

Masta done knocked me up 2 times, and both of those times I had boys. They was mixed chil’ren one of em had hazel green eyes. He was beautiful and after I gave birth they took the both of em from me talking about “they privileged but you aint.”

Land

I was one of the house ladies, always making the food. Always cleaning. Never catching breaks. Mastas wife taught me how to read when he wasn’t there. She apologized over and over again about how he knocked me up. She didn’t even like him she was only with him for his land.

Thinking about it

I have to act stupid all the damn time so masta wouldn’t be onto me. But I can’t take it no more, I gotta get out. I watch my eldest son pick cotton in the field threw the window every day. I just wanna hold him and tell him everything will be alright.

Almost there

I packed a sack with bread, and some fruits and vegetables. Mostly for my baby i didn’t care for eating as long as I made it out safely. I just want my baby to live a better life than me and for his kids to never go through this foolishness.

2 am

It’s 2 in the morning, I knowd it cause I took mastas watch yesterday. I wake up baby Ben and tell him we leaving. I wash his face my face and we pray. We get past the gates safely. We watching the stars cause that’s leading us up North. I almost feel free.
It’s been 3 days

Since we left. Almost out of food. Ben cannot die. Uh uh I’m not having it. God please watch over us. We gotta go underground. I forgot to say bye to Mastas wife and I feel bad because she was the only white person that was ever good to me

Can’t see

It’s dark down here. I gotta hold Ben's hands cause if i dont i wont be able to see him. He say he tired so I let him sleep but I hold his hand while he sleeping. He my only baby I got left I can’t lose him. I love him so much.

I dont know

I hear something in the distance oh hell naw. I wake Ben up and he already knowd why I woke him. The sound come closer and I see a cart. It stop and someone get out and say “Hello” “I’m here to help you up north” I still stand my ground.

Some white people are nice

Because the man kept saying “hello” “hello” like he knew we was here. He used something and turned on a candle and then he turned around and saw me and my baby. He asked if we was hungry and pulled out a sack with food in it.

Helping hand

He said my mastas wife told him I would be down here and she sent him to help me find freedom. She was a very nice woman and I hope she lives a good life for this. He gave Bem and me blankets and told us to get in the moving thing.

Paper and Pen

I ask the man if I can use a paper and pen and he look at me crazy. “Why would you want that?” he say in a little bit of what seems to be shock. “I need to write Mastas wife a letter now” I knowd he was surprised. “Her name is Elizabeth”

My name is Eli.

Elizabeth is my sister, she knew you were going to leave she just didn’t know when. She wanted me checking the mines every night so I could help you and your son on your journey up north. She told me you were smart but I didn’t know you were this smart.

Dear Mastas Wife

I dont know how to thank you for your kindness and your generosity. You have been nothing but kind to me by taking care of me and my Ben. I hope you take care of my precious mulatto gems i know they will grow up to be great.

Dear Mastas Wife

Dont let that man corrupt them. I pray for you every day and I will always remember you’re act of peace. I am sorry I had to leave like this but this isn’t a goodbye its a farewell. A farewell until the world is a better place. Thank you Missus Elizabeth.