Laughing At The Dark | Teen Ink

Laughing At The Dark

March 16, 2009
By EmilyPaige PLATINUM, Morris Plains, New Jersey
EmilyPaige PLATINUM, Morris Plains, New Jersey
20 articles 2 photos 8 comments

I felt alone and cold; the darkness surrounded me and took over the rusted, abandoned playground. I felt little in the ever expanding expanse of dark. The darkness seemed to scream out and echo angainst the emptiness.

I heard someone sit on the ancient swing next to mine and their voice cut through the darkness, "You shouldn't be alone in such a dark place."

The voice was deep and belonged to a male- judging by the sound a young one. It was comforting, but seemed feirce at the same time. His voice sounded like a memory that stayed in the dark and came out only go back just before I remembered.
I didn't look at him, "One could say the same to you."

He chuckled, "I welcome the dark."
I looked at him this time, "You surrendered to the darkness?"
I couldn't see his face, but seeing his outline was enough. He shook his head, "No. I welcome the darkness."
I looked straight ahead, "oh. People react differently to the dark."
He agreed,"Some people fear it. Some people ignore it. Other people surrender to it. It takes a special person to welcome it. Are you special?"
I shook my head, "No. I'm not special. I'm different. I walk into the darkness, turn on a flashlight, and laugh as it tries to escape me. But it can't. Because the darkness is apart of me."
He stood up and turned to me, "That's... Interesting."

I cocked an eyebrow, "How so?"
He started to walk away, but he answered anyway, "I am darkness. I am YOUR darkness."
Suddenly he was gone. His voice echoed in my head, "I am darkness. I am YOUR darkness." Why?