The Dog | Teen Ink

The Dog

By northturn SILVER, Daytona, Florida
northturn SILVER, Daytona, Florida

It was in the dark underbrush by Nan’s porch where I saw the dog for the first time. Steven and I used to crawl under the bristley bushes to hide from Nan and her constant chores to play cards together. In Steven’s attempt to escape the house and get to the brush undetected he was caught and forced to retreat lest he reveal our hideout to Nan and Pops. I sat hidden for quite a while in hopes that he would break free again and attempt to reach me; but as that prospect grew less likely with the passage of time I looked for a chance to leave without being detected. That is when I saw the dog. He stood on the outskirt of the property. From my spot I could see him very poorly but his fur was strikingly white. He was large, coming up to about 2 feet tall in comparison  to the old tire swing he stood next to. I stilled completely, eyes connecting with the beast. On any other occasion I would have approached the animal in an attempt to play but as our eyes met I felt a feeling of complete awe regarding the animal. It was an indescribable feeling. As if a part of my soul was connecting with the animal. The back door slammed open, wrenching me from my captivated trance to look at the source. Nan stood with a disapproving frown on her face beckoning me into the house with a crooked finger. I huffed while dropping my head in defeat before standing to run inside. Before I stepped inside I turned to look at the dog I had previously forgotten but to my illogical sadness the dog was nowhere to be seen.It was in the dark underbrush by Nan’s porch where I saw the dog for the first time. Steven and I used to crawl under the bristley bushes to hide from Nan and her constant chores to play cards together. In Steven’s attempt to escape the house and get to the brush undetected he was caught and forced to retreat lest he reveal our hideout to Nan and Pops. I sat hidden for quite a while in hopes that he would break free again and attempt to reach me; but as that prospect grew less likely with the passage of time I looked for a chance to leave without being detected. That is when I saw the dog. He stood on the outskirt of the property. From my spot I could see him very poorly but his fur was strikingly white. He was large, coming up to about 2 feet tall in comparison  to the old tire swing he stood next to. I stilled completely, eyes connecting with the beast. On any other occasion I would have approached the animal in an attempt to play but as our eyes met I felt a feeling of complete awe regarding the animal. It was an indescribable feeling. As if a part of my soul was connecting with the animal. The back door slammed open, wrenching me from my captivated trance to look at the source. Nan stood with a disapproving frown on her face beckoning me into the house with a crooked finger. I huffed while dropping my head in defeat before standing to run inside. Before I stepped inside I turned to look at the dog I had previously forgotten but to my illogical sadness the dog was nowhere to be seen.