The Escape

I’m here, at home and for the moment, everything is far from normal. I’m standing in my bathroom, looking down at the sink. The house is dark; the only light is coming from where I stand in this bathroom. The only noise is my breathing. I’m shaking, and I wonder why, perhaps it was the darkness that surrounded me or the silence. I wasn’t sure at this point. I glance to my left, out into the dark hallway and living room and I hear the noise I dread most.

My body begins shaking; I’m not safe at this point. I probably never was but all feelings the light brought had vanished, leaving pure fear in its place. I had to get out, but leaving the safety of the light was no option. I dared one more look to my left, just one more. I forced myself to turn my head. I saw movement in the shadows. Tears welled up in my eyes. They begin to flow down my face. I brought my hands in front of me, just looking at them. They were shaking uncontrollably.

How was I going to escape? Should I make a break for it or carefully think out a plan? I just knew I had to leave, as soon as possible. So I turned and timidly made my way up to the threshold. I glanced out, there was nothing I could see but I knew I was far from alone. I made my break for it, running into the living area. Suddenly I feel something, something pulling at me. I glance down to the source of the tug. A scream escapes my lips as I stare into those eyes. He, she, it, jumps at the sound. Yes, I thought, shaking my ankle to finally be free. It growls, and getting to its legs begins to chase me. It staggers with each step it takes.

I force myself to concentrate on my escape. That was all that mattered at this point in time. I made my way to the door, and wasting no time, threw it open and escaped out into the cool night air. I glanced back to see the thing clawing through the door, but I turned my head and made my way forward, evermore forward.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

vfowler23 said...
Another fantastic story! It gave me chills. :-)