New Bike | Teen Ink

New Bike

By Sarah_C BRONZE, Southborough, Massachusetts
Sarah_C BRONZE, Southborough, Massachusetts

The clock ticked, my body was restless. I was waiting for the clock to strike 6 am, marking the beginning of Christmas morning.

The minute hand hasn't moved in what feels like hours. My brain is flooding with endless thoughts of what might be under the glowing tree in my living room.

“Rinnnnnnnnggg!” went the alarm. I have been waiting for this sound since the moment I stepped into bed last night. I flew straight down the long hallway barreling into my parents bedroom. My brother followed after me as we leapt into their bed shaking them awake.

The moment has come. My mind was all over the place. The excitement overtook me and I was down the stairs before I knew it. I looked to my right and couldn't believe what was before my eyes. Shining, bright red, what I have been asking for for the past 364 days, a brand new bike! I felt like I had one the lottery. All I could think to do was scream in excitement.

I sprung for my bike stroking the soft leather seat before I sat down. My feet stumbled for the pedals and I took off riding recklessly throughout the house. My feet pedaled rapidly. I was riding a race car in my own action movie. But before I knew it I was on the ground. For some reason I forgot that I didn't know how to ride a bike.

I was trying to capture the feeling of waking up on christmas morning as a kid