Red Lake | Teen Ink

Red Lake

By Seilah BRONZE, Wappingers Falls, New York
Seilah BRONZE, Wappingers Falls, New York

The water stained in red gave off an iron odor.  I don’t remember the water being so tainted.  My stomach churned inside by the sight of the lake.  Missing people have been appearing more frequently.  When blood started flowing in the lake, police suspected the foot of the crime is here.  They searched the red waters, but no evidence of bodies.

“ Hey Ashton! Quit spacing out.” I shift my gaze to my brother. He was standing near the bridge.

“Grayson, why are we here? There is something off with this place.”

“You’re not the least bit curious? Stop playing it safe.” Grayson put a fierce grip on my wrist and forced me to walk on the bridge.  With every step, the bridge would slowly creek. When the edge of the bridge drew closer, I almost drew a breath of relief until I saw it.  Those piercing red eyes staring at us.  I froze in my tracks while Grayson tilted his head. It looked like a frog, but something was off.  It began to hop towards us.  We took some steps back. The frog’s intense stare made my body tremble.  The frog twitched….and pounced on Grayson’s arm.  It let out a deafening screech, it’s sharp teeth now visible. It’s teeth punctured Grayson’s skin, causing him to howl in pain.

I was too busy panicking to notice the army of frogs emerging from the lake. They all pounched at us, biting and gnawing at our flesh. I thought I was going to pop out a lung as I shriek.  One of them sank their teeth into my eye, driving me over the edge. I dove into the lake head first, the pained screams of my brother drowning out as I sank to the bottom.