Once Human | Teen Ink

Once Human

October 18, 2017
By F.K.Ellis BRONZE, Richmond, Texas
F.K.Ellis BRONZE, Richmond, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Living in the forgotten, damp caverns of the Earth, there lived a man. A man whose very shape and being were indistinguishable to the human eye—unfortunately deprived of all those characteristics that marked one a member of humanity. Whenever he made one of those rare encounters with species of the human kind, they'd lose all sense of reasoning, making haste and panicking back into the direction from whence they came, screaming "Alien! Alien! Alien!" And henceforth, Alien was his new name.


This thus completely robbed him of every piece of human identity he had had and left him with immense feelings of dejection. It painted him into the picture of a monster—an abominable creature, a Frankenstein. "How cruel the vision was to their mind," he would lament. "How sharp and shrill were their words! If only I could tear asunder their sight and render understanding to them!"


More often, it was usually "matured adults" that met him with the most hostility—sometimes attacking him. Children were the only ones that attempted to approach him. Their innocent curiosity guiding them to bring about a substantial amount of comprehension to their undeveloped minds. But even then, an understanding needed not to be reached for them to interact with him. Whenever he exited his dwelling and some child had ventured too far from their campsite, they would, at first, render themselves invisible—quietly hiding behind the nearby brambles and birches. Gradually, they would reveal themselves and soon it was almost as if they had started a conversation without words; just a timid acceptance of each other's existence. This brought him a little bit of happiness in which a faint smile would contort itself on his face. He enjoyed the company of anyone that would show enough empathy to understand him. Although, it was a rare event that he seldom partook in due to a fear of rejection. Most of his time was spent in the desolate cave where only a straining black pervaded in all corners of its deep, labyrinthine recesses.


As much joy as he took in the comfort and innocence of an uncorrupted child, it would meet its inevitable end when the parents would search for their lost child and, much to their horror, find a terrible figure standing alongside. What terrible consequences this would bring! So, he made the judicious choice: always to abscond when he felt threatened by the snapping of a nearby twig or the crunch of a few dry leaves. He knew their reactions all too well. No matter their class, they all shrieked with fear of the unknown and departed as quickly as they had come.


No one could he have to soothe his anguish or save him from his horrid solitude, for he was an outcast, a thing so alien a travesty that his very exposure to the world would stain humanity's reputation, making it seem all the more obscene. "I was human too!" he would try to cry indignantly to the sky, but no words would escape from his mouthless mouth. He could only communicate with the emotions of his eyes, and only his eyes would form emotions that speech and sound couldn't match.


Whenever he was sad, it was perceivable through the downward slope of his eyelids that revealed much of his despair; whenever he felt any ounce of joy, it was seen through the light in his eyes and an almost imperceptible contortion on his face of what appeared to be a smile.


He used to be a brilliant and handsome scientist—with a promising future—that was held in high esteem; and now his former appearance would stand in horrible contrast to his current one. Even he couldn't face his own image when he first beheld it. Inevitably, he desired to know what he had become and so he came close to a piece of lustrous, reflective metal.


He was a great blob of human flesh. Only his head vaguely held human characteristics; the rest of his body was close to slug-like. His nose, mouth, and ears melted into his face—forming an almost faceless mask, with pulsing white holes filled with a cloudy gas where his eyes would be. His head and body completely bare of any hair and clothing; small tendrils cover the base of his smooth, jelly body to help him move around as he slithers from place to place like as if an octopus was to move around on land.


Now, he can do nothing. His life a meaningless and piteous existence. All there is for him to do is to keep alive, but what has he to be alive for? If only he could somehow revert back to his former self, but that is just simply a dream.