The rings | Teen Ink

The rings

October 16, 2017
By kayl. BRONZE, Culpeper, Virginia
kayl. BRONZE, Culpeper, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When my husband was still alive, we purchased rings that allowed us to feel each other’s heartbeats no matter where we were. As of today, it’s been four years since he has passed away. I have not remarried or even started dating again. As i was preparing for halloween, i noticed my ring started to beat. I dropped everything and froze in shock. I was heartbroken, i assumed it was grave robbers that stole my husband’s ring. Yet, something about it was comforting. It felt like he was alive again and i felt the kind of peace i haven’t felt in years. I started crying and i dropped to the ground, that was until my doorbell rang.
I wiped my tears and collected myself before answering the door. When i opened the door, a skeleton stood before me. I noticed he was wearing the same clothes my husband had been buried in. Seeing the dirty, hollow skeleton was the last thing i remember before i got tunnel vision and everything went dark.
I woke up on my couch where that same skeleton stood over me. I screamed and ran towards the phone. It grabbed my arm and said calmly in my husbands voice, “Honey, it’s me.”. I felt a rush of fear go through my body. I was paralyzed and i felt sick. I couldn’t bear to look at it. I was speechless, the only word i could get out was “what?”. “I know, i don’t understand either, but honey, i’m back.”.  A part of me was happy to hear his voice, another part of me was petrified at what stood before me.
“What happened to your ring?” i said. He looked at me expressionless, because he can’t show expressions he is a skeleton. “I sold it to rent a cheap car to drive over here.”
I was torn on what to do. Should I be happy and let him live here? Or should i call the police and have him buried again? The decision was hard but i decided to call the police, I wouldn’t be able to live with my husbands skeleton. The police arrived and were flabbergasted, but didn’t hesitate to arrest my once living husband. I haven’t seen or heard from him since. I still don’t know who has my ring, and i still haven’t remarried. I’m scared and in therapy now. Nobody believes this actually happened and I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and sent away for mental evaluation. I refuse to admit that this was a hallucination because it was most definitely real. I would rather live my life in confinement than admit to something i know to be false. I don’t see me getting out of here anytime soon.