What I Didn't Do On My Summer Vacation | Teen Ink

What I Didn't Do On My Summer Vacation

September 20, 2017
By Kieran_Sheehan BRONZE, Ottawa, Ontario
Kieran_Sheehan BRONZE, Ottawa, Ontario
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's not the world that's cruel. It's the people in it." -Nora Sakavic, The Foxhole Court


This summer, I didn't say the words I meant to. I didn't pick up th phone and call my closests friends, and I definitly didn't ask them to run away with me in search of adventure, something I long for more than anything. I didn't even get out of bed.

 

I didn't write novels about old men and their dying thoughts, or the innocence of a new born, or the development of life somewhere just far enough for us not to notice. I didn't pick up a pen, not once, except to sign for a package I didn't even order.

 

I didn't hold hands and walk down the beach with someone I thought I could maybe be with for the rest of my life. I didn't trade kisses, the bonfire flickering, alluminating the night, and I didn't steal hugs and sweaters. I didn't love.

 

I didn't once think about what the future holds, where I'll go, with who, and if I'll be happy. I didn't imagine the fond look in their eyes as I make mistakes and keep making them. I didn't picture midnight dances and morning cuddles and butterfly kisses and I one hundred percent didn't wish I had someone to hold me as the tears fell from my face. Although now that I think about it, maybe I did.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece after a writing prompt we had in our English class, the concept was to write about things that didn't happen during our summers. My original aproach was going to be a more humourous one, focusing instead on outrageous claims such as, "I didn't fight the purple dragon that stole the last cookie from the oven." After some thought, I decided to change my idea and look for more subtle tones of sadness and regret, honing in on the idea of a pleseant but overall unsatisfactory summer, wondering about the what-ifs.