The Last Phone Call

I was dying. There was no denying it. The blood seeping out of the arrow wound in my chest was enough to convince me. The sunlight was fading in the alleyway and I knew I didn’t have much time left. I used my good arm and tried to reach for the pocket that I could only hope my phone was in. I felt it between my fingers and dialed the number of the only person on my mind.
      “Hey Dylan! I thought you were at the bar with the guys? Is everything okay?” Carmen’s voice came through the phone. I pushed away tears and cleared my throat.
      “Hey Carmen. Yeah everything is okay. Seth had a feeling that something was wrong so I stepped out for a minute to call my favorite girl and check in so he’d stop worrying. How was your day? Did you do anything fun?”
       I could hear the smile in her voice.  “Tell Seth to stop being so worried. Everything is fine. The girls and I had a movie day. It was so fun! We watched a bunch of scary movies. I wish you had been there! I hope you’re having fun with Toby and Seth…”
       Her voice faded with the light in the sky as everything went to black.