Fairy Tale | Teen Ink

Fairy Tale

June 18, 2017

“Bye, Kat!”, called Liliana.


“See you later, Lil!”, I yelled back.


After school me and Liliana rode the same bus her mom always offered to drive me home, but i never said yes. That day I wish I had. The woman took in the way you see in the movies. Kind of like the crazy lady takes the young girl and drags her into the woods. I punched, kicked, and even bit her disgusting hand. None of that worked. Once we were far in the woods she dropped me down and muttered about what a brat I was. Then she poured some weird dust over me and I was out like a light.


When I woke up I was laying on a stone floor. The room was fairly small and if i jumped I could touched the ceiling. In the middle there was a plate of mashed potatoes and a burlap like material. There was also a cup of water. Just as I was about to pick up the burlap the lady came bursting through a door in the floor.


“I’m here to tell you what is going to happen.”, she said.


“That would be helpful.”, I replied.


“I’ll come every day to see how you’re doing. I’ll bring food, water, and things to wash up with.”, she hissed.
“That’s great. Now, you went through a lot of trouble to get me here so why don’t you tell me what you want”, I demanded.


“Don’t play dumb you know what I want.”, she said smirking.


“If you want money my parents aren’t going to pay some stupid ransom.”, I laughed, but she had disappeared.
I should have been suspicious of her disappearing, but she was gone and I wasn’t one to look a gift horse in the mouth. Plus, at the time I was thinking about how annoying the school uniforms were. The skirt was made out of the most itchy material known to man. Then the thought occurred to me that the small window in the corner didn’t have anything on it so I could get out from there. I ran over and looked out to realize that I was really far up. The jump would’ve killed me. I checked my watch to see what time it was. It was almost 11:00 P.M., so I decided to go to bed.


“Rise and shine!”, squealed the woman.


“What?”, I questioned checking my watch, It was 4:00 A.M.


“I wanted to check on you.”, she said.


“Awesome, as you can see I’m perfectly healthy. Would you please leave?”, I asked, very annoyed.
“Yes, I’ll leave now. Bye.”, and then she was gone.


I checked to see if when she left, if the locked the door. She did. Since it was still early in the morning I decided to go to sleep. When I finally got back up it was 1:00 P.M. There was one advantage to being there. I could sleep as long as I wanted. I didn’t enjoy being locked up there, but I was fine being alone. I was always fine home alone eating popcorn and watching Supernatural. A lot of the time Liliana would come over and we would watch it together. Just me and her. If she wasn’t there I was fine doing whatever by myself.


I checked my watch and it was 9:00 P.M. Thinking had taken up a lot of time. I didn’t realize it, but I had eaten the mashed potatoes. I went to sleep so I could ask the woman questions.


I woke up to see the lady sitting across the room staring at me. We sat there for a while staring at each other. I was The first one to speak.


“Are you going to say anything?”, I asked.


“If you want me to.”, she answered.


“Why are you staring at me?”, I said.


“I wanted to see how you would react.”, she said.


“That’s all fine and dandy, but where I’m from staring at people is creepy and rude!”, I yelled
“I’m aware.”, and then she vanished.


During the time I was there I discovered that being alone and being lonely are very different things. I also developed minor claustrophobia, but that's besides the point. Being alone is having fun and not needing anyone. You also get to be alone with your thoughts, which in my case is slightly dangerous because I tend to think of things that should make my brain explode. Like why I was born at this period in time, why I was born in the part of the world I was born in, and why my parents picked the name that they did for me. I’ve also tried to figure out why Jon Bon Jovi has such a weird name, but I can figure it out. After a while of being alone I started to get lonely. That isn’t near as much fun. Lonely is missing people and finding out that sometimes you just can’t be your own friend. I didn’t bother to check my watch and just went to sleep.


“Oh my Gosh! I can’t believe you haven’t confessed yet! I can’t do anything until you confess!”, the lady screamed.


“One time in the sixth grade I put itching powder in the basketball team's jerseys.”, I said sarcastically.
“That’s not what I mean.”, she whispered and yelled at the same time.


“Well then what? Oh, mind telling me who you are?”, I said.


“I’ll just humor you. I’m the witch that wants all the princesses. I want you all gone, but not before i have a little fun. I shaved Rapunzel's head, burned Belle’s books, and I turned Ariel back into a fish. As for you Aurora I’m going to take away your voice.”, she said as if she had recited it a million times.


“I’m not some princess!”, I yelled.


“Deny it all you want, but I’ll be there when you confess and I’ll savor every moment.”, then she left.
She had been so mad at me she didn’t lock the door. I sat by it for a long time to make sure nobody was coming. When I was sure it was safe I left.


I crept down the stairs slowly. When I reached the bottom. I saw a sign that read, Portal to Mortal World. I felt like I was about to be sucked into it, but I couldn’t have because there was a giant dragon against the edge. There was no way I could’ve jumped over it and if i stepped on him I wouldn’t have made it. Then i saw on the far side of the room, a sword.


The dragon was asleep so I could sneak over and grab it. I crept up beside him and raised the sword up. Just as I was about to plunge the blade into the monster's head he opened his eyes. He swung his tail around and slammed me into the wall. I got up slowly and wiped the blood from my mouth, one of the many places that was bleeding. He charged straight toward me and I let him get close enough so I could kill him. When he dropped his head to torch me i sunk the sword into his neck. I moved out of the way just in time for it not to land on me. Then I jumped into the portal.


I fell right in front of my house all the blood, bruises, and scratches gone. I checked my watch and it was 3:20 P.M. That’s the time I usually get home from school. I ran straight inside.


“Hey honey how was your day?”, my mom asked.


“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”, I said.


The author's comments:

It's not the very best but I enjoyed writing it and thought it was interesting enough.