Wild One | Teen Ink

Wild One

By Peter Keskinen BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
Peter Keskinen BRONZE, Solon, Ohio

I met a girl one evening awhile back. She was breath taking, but seemed to have this wild feel to her. Her breath always smelled like fresh berries or warm honey. We became fast friends after meeting in the park one day. Nothing seemed unordinary about her, and yet it seemed to me that there was just something mysterious about her, something that I couldn’t put my finger on. Maybe that was what I found so alluring. Maybe that was the reason for my inevitable downfall.

One day, we were just hiking through the woods like we always do when we began talking.

“So, um is there a girl in your life?” she inquired. I loved how blunt and to the point she was.

“Well…there is this one girl I think I sorta like.” I replied.

“Oh, really?” She said half taken aback half jokingly. I could tell she was bothered by it, we both knew that I was talking about her. We exchanged our views on various subjects as we walked. The day’s life crept to an end, and we stopped and climbed a tree (she was a much better climber than I). We sat at the top, and I knew I was going to kiss her, and she knew she was going to be kissed, but something still didn’t feel right. I couldn’t stand the mysterious air I received from her from the second I met her, and I was on the verge of breaking when it hit me. The wild feeling, the tree climbing, the warm honeyed breath, it all added up to one conclusion. The girl I loved was really a bear in disguise!

I had to play it cool, but she could smell my fear.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“Oh nothing, I just wa-“I said as I jumped down from my perch. I frantically sprinted through the woods hopelessly searching for a beacon of hope. I couldn’t find anything, and I knew she would be right behind me. Just then I saw a headlight off to my right, but as I turned toward it I tripped. I spun around to face my pursuer, and came face to face with the biggest, strongest, fiercest grizzly bear I’ve ever seen. It Tore into my soft flesh with razor sharp claws, and closed it’s vice like jaws onto my neck. Everything went black…it was all over.