Th e War Ended Long Ago But, No One Told Us | Teen Ink

Th e War Ended Long Ago But, No One Told Us

By JoshuaCounseller BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania
JoshuaCounseller BRONZE, Levittown, Pennsylvania

The war ended long ago, but nobody told us. Our small rural town still had the look of war. My family and I lived a very uneventful life. We took each day as it came. There was never a question as to what was going to happen. I followed the same routine every day. Every morning, I would get out of bed to have breakfast with my family, then I would set off to school. This never changed. But as I walked out my front door, I could see something different each day. I wasn’t quite sure what it was, until I walked down the main street of my sleepy town. As I walked down that street of the town, it has the appearance of vast destruction. The building still shows the signs of conflict that had taken place so long ago. The buildings were riddled with bullet holes. They appeared to be on very shaky ground. Still, my town was my little piece of heaven. I have lived here all my life. I know of nothing else. My parents have tried to convince me to leave. They say life is so much better outside of my small town. If I chose to explore, the possibilities were endless outside of my town, in the outside world. They told me of many opportunities, such as going to college to become anything I had hopes of becoming. I could choose where I wanted to live, anywhere from a little shack in my current small broke down town, to a grand mansion in the richer areas. I just had to take the chance. I know that I should listen, but the conflict inside my head keeps me here. I remember all the happy times even when the war ravaged my family and town. They tried to take away our spirit and have us run. We stood our ground and stayed despite all the despair. I can still smell the gunpowder in the air and hear the screams of the people running for their lives. I stay steadfast to the thought that all will get better and go back to the way things were. People laughing, kids playing and the streets, shopkeepers selling their wares. My town will overcome all of this tragedy by rebuilding and improving their houses, businesses, and lives. This hope is starting to fade. My parents left to start over years ago, and are very happy. They have made a better life in their new home without the memories of what has happened in their once quiet little town. But I am still torn as to stay or leave. I think to myself, “someday, maybe, I will leave, someday”. Right now, I’m happy just being here where my life began. I live with the memories of a once beautiful, lively town. This will probably be where my life will come to an end.