Impact | Teen Ink

Impact

By StoneKat BRONZE, Harleysville, Pennsylvania
StoneKat BRONZE, Harleysville, Pennsylvania

The crowd roared out the numbers as the big ball dropped down in the last minute of 2016. 59…! 58…! 57…! All eyes were on the multi-faceted orb as it spun and swirled its neon strobes out over the heads of the thousands of people gathered in Times Square to usher in the new year. All eyes, that is, except two.
Moon stood back from the crowd, looking into it, but not joining in the animal ferocity that she saw there. She kept her hands shoved in the front pockets of the ripped black jeans she hadn’t washed in a week.
48…! 47…! 46…! Moon spotted someone else who wasn’t joining in the revelries, but his aloofness was for a different reason. While Moon had only good intentions, he was out to kill.
Moon knew it the second she saw the gun exit his sweatshirt pocket held by his steady right hand and her eyes narrowed imperceptibly. She drew up the hood of her own black sweatshirt to hide her mass of silver hair before she moved toward him.
Moon assessed the situation with the ease of a professional. The police blockade was around the main square keeping back the more rowdy folks in the crowd from the celebrities who posed there. They would be no help here in the back streets. While the gunman appeared to be alone, Moon could not be certain that he did not have confederates in the crowd or down another street, so she couldn’t do anything that would alert them to her presence. And she certainly couldn’t get the crowd involved; she had seen what damage a panicked mob could do when she was just starting out. She would have to get close enough to him that she could be certain he wouldn’t harm anyone.
Moon eased out of the shadows in which she was hidden, and crept up behind him, drawing her hands out of her pockets to reveal their subtle glow, long hidden. If he noticed her advance, he didn’t let on, intent on his aim into the crowd.
10…! 9…! 8…! The crowd gained in fervor as they pressed closer to the protective barricade, oblivious to the impending threat. The threat tightened his finger on the trigger, leveling it at arm’s length at the thick crowd.
Moon, with a non-existent flick of her wrist, sent an invisible force field to block the entirety of the street entrance. The man fired his gun as the clock hit zero and the crowd screamed and cheered, masking the sound of the bullet.
Said bullet never reached the crowd. Instead, Moon watched it fall straight down where it hit her field, followed by five of its brothers. She smiled slightly, still marveling at the negation force of her fields after all these years. The gunman, thoroughly confused and more than a little spooked, dropped his gun and ran around the corner out of Moon’s line of sight.
Moon sighed and shook her head as she shrunk the existing field around the abandoned gun and coaxed it upwards into a gravity-defying hover. Propelling it before her with the sheer power of her mind, she pointed the now-empty gun in the direction the man ran and jogged around the corner behind it.
She spotted him not fifty feet away, hemmed in by the crowd and unable to run any further. She ducked out of sight behind a particularly large lady and sent the gun on ahead. Soon she heard a different kind of scream mingling with the crowd’s.
Moon strolled casually back out into the open and walked past the man, staring wide-eyed in terror, drooling, at his previously loyal gun. His next scream could have broken glass as he turned, slipped, and fell headlong into an attracted police officer.
Moon promptly dropped her field, causing the gun to clatter onto the ground. She didn’t wish for her powers to be observed by anyone who could think clearly, and at the moment, this would-be-murderer was anything but coherent. He was blathering on about floating demons and spirits as he begged the officer to protect him. The officer, an amused expression on his face, started to turn away when Moon nudged the gun forward ever so slightly.
The man screamed again, and clutching the pant leg of his “savior,” confessed everything that had gone down in the past couple of minutes.
Moon shook her head. It was a predictable pattern she had come to recognize after years of practice. Even the most skeptical of criminals became superstitious when Moon gave them a glimpse of her powers. She, personally, had never had to call for an officer because all she had to do was scare the criminals batty and they gladly did her silent bidding.
The man hung there blithering while the officer called for backup to check out his story. Stepping back out of sight, Moon glimpsed two other officers elbow their way through the crowd and, after a short conference with the first officer, disappear into the alley from which she came.
Satisfied, she returned her hands to their customary pockets and turned around to patrol the rest of the square. But before she had taken a step, she stopped, shell-shocked and immobilized, staring at the person blocking her path.
“Hi,” the girl said, her smile and wisps of blond hair escaping from her parka’s furry hood. “I’m Mysti.”
Moon froze, staring like a deer caught in headlights at the girl who had noticed her.
“I’m Mysti,” the girl said again, waiting for a response.
Moon just stared, petrified to be hooked into a conversation. She didn’t know what to do. This had never happened to her before. She usually avoided human contact for obvious reasons.
“Okay,” Moon finally managed, unsure of her response.
The girl, Mysti, laughed, throwing her pretty head back so that the parka’s hood slid off of her slick hair. Moon judged her to be about 16 years old and well-to-do because of her expensive red parka and the silver cross chain necklace that laid on top of it. Moon had become quite good at judging people.
“So you know my name now. What’s yours?” Mysti c***ed her head, ignoring the icy January wind that blew her blond tendrils around her face and into her inquisitive chocolate eyes.
“Moon. I- I’m Moon,” Moon stuttered, gazing out over the partying crowd. She toed a rogue snow pile with her left foot and shifted her gaze downward, anxious to get away.
Mysti laughed again, softer now. Moon liked the sound. It was like the wind chimes in her former foster parents’s backyard; she couldn’t help but stop and listen.
“I love that name. You picked it out yourself, didn’t you?”
Moon looked up, and made rare eye contact with Mysti. She blinked several times and scrunched her eyebrows in consternation. “Yes…?” she ventured, making it sound more like a question than a statement. How could she know? Moon had never told a soul, for who was there to tell?
There was that laugh again. Was she really that funny? “I knew it.” Mysti smiled and Moon could see her perfect teeth outlined on her perfectly oval face by the still strobing neon lights. She didn’t know a single other girl who could be so… perfect. Then again, Moon didn’t know many other girls. Or any, for that matter. Mysti was the first person who had spoken more than one sentence to Moon in the space of, well, a week. And frankly, it was making Moon uncomfortable.
“I should go…” Moon made awkward head motions back into the crowd and turned to leave, ready to be solitary once again. She stopped, though, and panicked slightly when Mysti placed a white-gloved hand on her black-clad arm.
“Go where? You don’t have anywhere to go, do you?”
“I…” Moon trailed off for lack of something to say. How could this girl know everything about her? They had never met before in their lives. She scrunched her eyebrows again and turned back to face Mysti. “How do you…”
“Know these things?” Mysti nodded knowingly, pursing her rosy lips. “It just comes naturally, you know? The same way you use your powers. You don’t think about it, and you don’t know where they came from. You just do.”
Moon’s eyes widened and her mouth fell open, staring in awe at the mystery girl in front of her. Maybe she would have to reconvene her judgements about this girl; she obviously wasn’t just the fancy rich girl Moon thought she was. Moon’s hands unintentionally left her pockets, involuntarily revealing their faint glow to the only person who seemed to already know.
Mysti didn’t seem startled, which Moon had come to expect from her. Instead, she grinned fuller than she had before. “I knew it!” she exclaimed again, and Moon, internally kicking herself, relegated her hands back into their pockets before anyone else glanced their way.
“You don’t know how hard it was to find you in this crowd! But since I knew about you and that gunman, I could figure it out. These crowds are just awful, aren’t they? I’ve never seen a more pushy group of people. I’ve been wanting to meet you for just about forever, or at least ever since the newspapers started running stories about a mystery person who was saving more people in New York than all of the NYPD. It wasn’t much to go off of, but I fared better than most.”
Mysti stopped to take a breath, and Moon started to process her words. She wasn’t used to communication the way Mysti went about it.
“So now that I’m here,” Mysti bounced slightly on the pads of her feet, “will you help me with something? I know this has got to be weird, me talking to you like this and randomly asking you for favors, I mean, ‘cause you don’t get around much. I mean you do get around, just not around around, if you know what I mean.”
“I… don’t-”
“Oh, I’m sorry! I’m confusing you again, aren’t I. It’s just that I have this feeling that something really bad is going to happen, and I don’t know quite where yet, but I will when I get there. All I know for sure is that I won’t be able to handle it on my own, and that’s why I needed to come find you. So what do you say, Moon?” Mysti rubbed her hands together in anticipation. “Ready to go save New York?”
Moon really didn’t have a choice. The way she saw it, she could either follow Mysti and save the world, or turn away and wonder for the rest of her life. Nope, definitely no choice. She had to go.
“Lead the way,” Moon monotoned. She was still wary of talkative strangers, especially apparently rich ones. She had to be to live on the streets of New York and survive, even with her fields. Usually they only wanted to use her power for themselves, something Moon wasn’t willing to give anyone.
But still, even with her experiences, she was not going to pass down a chance to save people, even if it turned out to be a false lead.
“Great! It’s…” Mysti trailed off and made like a girl with a divining rod to water, pointing her outstretched arm and index finger all around her in a wavering ellipse. “There! That way!” She pointed down into the thick of the crowd, and Moon inwardly groaned.
“Nono, that way!” she said, pointing in a completely different direction at the top of a skyscraper. She looked slightly confused. “I’m getting bad vibes from, like, everywhere…” She trailed off again, continuing to mumble to herself and point in different directions like a sailor finding his position at night by the stars.
If Moon had been the face-palming type, she would have done so. As it was, she closed her eyes in exasperation and counted to ten while exhaling. If something bad was indeed going to happen, they were wasting precious moments relying on Mysti’s debatable skill. Moon would much rather be out patrolling her city than standing there like an incompetent fool.
She shifted from foot to foot, impatient to be off. She hated waiting around when she could be doing something productive. She determined to give Mysti one minute and no more, pushing up her sweatshirt sleeve to mark the time on her scratched and dented watch with a glance. The time was currently 12:09:56 a.m. and counting. Moon was distracted from her task by a plastic wrapper colliding with her bare wrist.
Mysti noticed Moon as she looked up and said, “Peppermint?”
“Um, no.” Moon glanced skeptically at the shower of wrappers landing at her feet. Why did Mysti have so many peppermints, and why in the world was she choosing to eat them now?
As though reading her mind, Mysti replied to Moon’s unspoken question. “They hone my powers. I started out using peppermint tea, but it’s not the most portable thing in the world. These work just as well though, and maybe even better.” Her cheeks already bulging like a chipmunk after wisdom tooth surgery, she shoved even more peppermints into her stuffed mouth.
Moon scrunched her eyebrows in disgust as she gathered up the discarded wrappers. She hated litterers. They always thought that decent economic consideration didn’t apply to them. But if she wanted to throw the wrappers away, she would have to go into the crowded streets or the square to find a trash can, as the sanitation department didn’t bother to put them in the back streets. Having had more then enough human contact in the past hour, she shoved them in her back pockets to dispose of later.
After Mysti finished her ongoing “Igh caughnt taughlk wighf ay aoughf fhoo, shouwy” speech, and Moon finished dodging gobs of saliva, Moon asked a question.
“Can you sense it now?” That was probably the longest sentence she had said to anyone besides the occasional cat or c***roach in the past year.
Mysti’s eyes lit up as she managed to close her mouth and refrain from speaking. She nodded enthusiastically and pointed back at the second original pointed-to location, the top of a skyscraper. Moon nodded slowly. It was as good a place as any to go to, especially since anyone up there at this time of the morning would have no good reason to be there.
“Let’s go,” Moon monotoned again, and began to stride towards the towering building. “It’ll take,” she glanced at her still uncovered watch, “five minutes.”
Mysti shook her head vigorously, her eyes wide, but not with excitement. “No,” she gasped, nearly choking on the last of the mints. “I can feel more of it now. If we walk, we’ll be too late. I can feel a time…” She closed her eyes and concentrated. “12:15:35 is when it will happen. And it is…” She pulled up her own sleeve to glance at her Rolex, and her eyes bulged. “12:34:12!”
Moon glanced at her own watch sharply. “No,” she said. “We have two minutes. Your watch has stopped.”
“A Rolex,” Mysti sighed despondently. “Broken.” She shook her head sadly, but snapped it up when Moon’s retreating footsteps reached her ears. “Hey! Wait for me!”
She dashed after Moon, stumbling once at her sudden start, and quickly caught up, throwing her arms around the other girl, slowing them both considerably. “You’re my best friend, you know that?”
She hung on even as Moon, panicked and more than a little annoyed, tried to swat her off with the arm that wasn’t pinned against Mysti’s parka. “Don’t- Stop- Let-” Moon struggled to voice her opinion about the ill timing of the hug. With a final shove, she dislodged her leech-like friend and sped up, focusing once more on their goal with their target in sight.
“I thought you wanted to save New York.”
Mysti grinned. “Now you’re getting it!” She sped up to match Moon’s pace. “But we still won’t get there in time.”
“How do you know?” Moon didn’t bother to turn her head to face Mysti. She focused all of her energy into running.
“You’re really going to ask?” Mysti raised her eyebrows at Moon.
“Oh. Right.” Moon huffed in consternation. She really hated to use her powers like this, but it was an emergency.
“Moon? What are you thinking?” Mysti queried while trying unsuccessfully to dodge some trash cans that loomed in front of her after turning a sharp corner, costing them precious seconds. “Gah! Why does New York City need so many obnoxious trash cans?” She floundered among the overturned cans, only to slip on a banana peel trying to get up.
Moon chose to ignore that comment, impatiently waiting for her companion to stand up while she took the opportunity to throw the wrappers away. “I’m thinking…” Moon glanced up at their still-too-far-away destination. “...that we need to fly.”
Mysti crashed back into the trash cans she had only just detangled herself from. “Huwha? You- you can fly? Like Superman? No way!”
“Well, no. But my fields absorb and counter all forces, including gravity…” Moon frowned, concentrating on creating a large, flat, black field roughly the size of a taxi under her feet. After glancing at her star-struck friend, she added handles and a seatbelt, both in the same night-sky black, to the side she wasn’t standing on.
“Oh, sweet! So it’s more like Aladdin’s flying carpet! I love it!” Mysti squealed and hopped up and sat down, strapping herself in. Oblivious to Moon’s annoyance at her continued emphasis, she beamed up at her expectantly. “Let’s go already!”
Moon had to smile a bit at her enthusiasm. It was so much like her own the first time she got a taste of the sky.
“Hang on tight.” Moon sat down, built a wind buffer dome around them, and without any further mishaps, the field made a beeline for the roof of the skyscraper. Not two seconds later, they arrived and Moon jumped off, dissipating the “magic carpet.”
Mysti simply stared at Moon with her mouth open, sitting where she had been dumped on the edge of the roof. She turned to look down at the square where they had been standing only moments before, and then went back to staring at Moon.
Moon shifted uneasily, unused to someone viewing and worshipping her powers so blatantly.
Awesome!” Mysti yelled, finally standing up and spinning a 360, laughing at the sheer impossibility of what she had just experienced. “Wanna trade?”
“I’ll keep my power, if you don’t mind.” Moon busily scanned the building for dangers, but besides the customary security lights and cameras, she could sense no movement. “Mysti?”
“Rightright. It’s definitely gonna be up here in fifteen seconds and counting. You’ll see it in three.”
“See wha…?” Moon didn’t have to finish her sentence. She saw the danger, and she knew why Mysti had worked so hard to bring her here.
Moon saw what was then a distant speck growing ever closer, but she knew what that speck would grow into. Most airplanes had multicolored blinking lights to warn others of their position, but this plane was only flickering orange.
“It’s not a terrorist attack. They simply had the bad luck of a complete systems failure and four engine fires over the biggest city in the US. The pilots can’t do anything to level off, but there are currently no serious injuries, so if you can just…” This time it was Mysti who didn’t need to finish her sentence.
Moon was already totally focused on her first major save. She began to sweat despite the cold air, and raised her arms in the direction of the airplane, now identifiable. She had only waited this long because she had to see what she was doing, but it was still simply too dark.
Moon took a deep breath, and as she exhaled, a beam of moonlight left her body, travelling and clinging to the plane. Better for her, although now the population below could see everything that was about to happen. It was an exposure risk she had to take.
Carefully, without jolting the plane, she threw a field that encompassed it completely and shrank it to lie directly on the plane’s surface, this time invisible to the naked eye. Moon could see its outline, though, and drastically increased its outside air resistance, slowing it down without exposing the plane to the increased friction.
Next she gradually decreased the gravity acting on the plane, slowing its descent. This was all well and good, but she was going to have to do more - faster - if she wanted to keep it from crashing into anything. She was going to have to stop it in midair.
Steeling herself against the pressure she was about to exert, she began to slow the momentum of the flying behemoth that was now pointed directly at the two girls. She distantly heard Mysti screaming gibberish in the background, but blocked her out. Apparently Mysti could tell that Moon wasn’t going to stop it in time.
Gritting her teeth, Moon quadrupled her efforts and her field responded. When she released gravity's effect completely, the plane stopped descending, but still hurtled forwards at a high speed. Moon pushed physically against the air and the plane slowed drastically as if a driver had pulled the parking brake on a freeway.
Moon winced. A lot of the people in that plane were going to have whiplash when they woke up. She assumed that most of them had passed out from lack of oxygen when she had first thrown the field because she had tailored it to reject the passage of oxygen in order to smother the fires. Then again, she didn’t know much about how planes got their oxygen.
She released the oxygen embargo, and the plane shuddered to a stop directly over their heads, not twenty feet up.
Moon grinned, and allowed herself a small laugh of relief. She had done it! She had really saved New York from another 9/11-like crash! She dropped her arms to her sides, feeling the hot sweat begin to cool. She knew that she probably hadn’t needed to move them upwards in the first place, but she hadn’t wanted to test her luck on something as big as a plane. After treating her field like a dog and commanding it to “stay” and dispersing the moonlight, Moon turned happily to Mysti.
“Please tell me I’m not dead. Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleeeeeeease?” Mysti was on the floor curled up in a ball with her hands over her eyes, peeking through a small gap.
“You’re not dead.”
“Oh, thank you!” Mysti brushed herself off as she stood up nonchalantly. She glanced up, and froze, staring with the biggest eyes Moon had seen on her yet at the plane hovering as if on display above her head.
Her jaw dropped yet again, and Moon blushed.
“Moon! You- You just- YOU JUST STOPPED A PLANE IN MIDAIR!”
“Yeah, I know.” Moon rubbed hear ears and shook her head, willing her ears to stop ringing and wishing that Mysti would go back to using italics instead of caps lock when she spoke.
“Wow! I mean- Wow! I knew you could do it, but the feelings I was getting from the plane kept changing so super-duper fast I got dizzy. Was it going to crash? Yes! No, no! No, yes! No! Yes! No! I was going insane! It only stayed on “no” for, like, two seconds before you stopped it. And wow! Even I didn’t know you were that powerful! You must practice a lot. Don’t look at me like that! There are some things even I don’t know. Hmph. Have you noticed that I talk when I’m nervous? I talk when I’m nervous. Like, a lot. A lot a lot. And I…”
Moon figured that she could stop listening. She had already heard enough from Mysti to know that she wasn’t going to notice that Moon wasn’t paying attention for another couple of minutes.
“Moon, you aren’t listening to me.” Mysti stood mock glaring at Moon with her hands on her hips and a pout on her lips. Oops. Moon really needed to stop assuming things about this girl.
“What are we going to do now? I’m sure the press is going to want to talk to you.”
“Wait, we? The press? No.”
“C’mon, it’ll be fun! And whadjya think, that I was just going to let you go back to living on the streets by yourself? Huh-uh, girl, you and I are going places. Together. ‘Cause friends don’t let each other down.”
Moon let that sink in for a moment. In a few minutes, there were going to be news helicopters, paparazzi, and random citizens all trying to get a look at the person who stopped the plane. It was a major turning point in Moon’s life. Everything she had worked towards - her dedication to the people of New York City, her anonymity, her very livelihood - could all change now. There was no hiding a plane from anyone, and Moon knew it. She could either embrace her actions, or she could run and hide. Again.
Moon turned to find Mysti watching her with a solemn expression on her face. While Moon’s mind was in turmoil, she found it strangely comforting to find her only friend, her newfound inspiration, waiting patiently for her to make her own decision.
Mysti knew the importance of Moon’s decision. She also knew that she would support Moon no matter what, through thick and thin, homeless or not. So she quieted her own thoughts and withdrew her words, knowing that silence was familiar to Moon.
Moon watched her friend smile a tiny smile, one that seemed out of place on her open face. Moon drew in a shaky breath. “What do we tell them?”
Mysti’s face broke into the perfect grin Moon knew so well. “We introduce them to the first superhero in the world.”
Moon was scared, but knew she had chosen right. Out in the open, she could help more people than ever before and maybe even garner support. She would never be alone again.
“Not one. Two.” Moon held out her hand to Mysti. “I can’t do this without you.”
Mysti unexpectedly wiped a tear off of her cheek. “Moon, I… I don’t know if I can. My powers… They aren’t good in a fight. I can’t use them to stop someone from falling. I can’t stop a bullet with my mind. Heck, I’ve never even punched someone before. What can I…”
Mysti stopped short as Moon enveloped her in a hug. She sniffed as the tears began to flow freely from her eyes. “What if I see something too late? And what if I’m wrong?”
“Have you ever been wrong before?”
“N-no…”
“Then don’t worry about it. We’ll always be on time. You’ll see.”
There was a long pause as the two girls stood on the roof in each other’s arms, one the comforter, the other broken. Roles reversed. Hearts full.
Mysti broke away first, wiping away her tears and collecting herself. “Thank you,” she whispered.
“Any time.” Moon smiled.
“What are we going to call ourselves?” Mysti asked as they heard a chopper approaching in the distance. “We’ve got to have superhero names; we can’t just be “Moon” and “Mysti.”
“Why not?”
“To protect our secret identities, obviously! Well, let’s see. What exactly do you do?”
“Um… I throw force fields and I can produce light.”
“Okay, okay. I knew that. But seriously, what do you want to do with your powers? What’s your whole objective?” Mysti began to walk rapidly in tiny circles tapping her forefingers on her chin, thinking.
“I… I want to… I don’t know. Just make an impact on their lives, I guess. Save them from themselves.”
“That’s perfect!” Mysti shouted, and Moon could practically see the light bulbs flashing over her head.
“Huh? What did I say?”
“Impact! It’s a perfect name for you! Impact can have a double meaning, too. So cool! It can mean, like, your field power thing absorbing kinetic forces, otherwise known as impacts. And it can mean what you want to do! Have an impact on the world! Oh, this is too cool!”
Moon liked having the bouncy Mysti back. She even approved (marginally more) of the exclamation points in her speech in the place of italics or caps lock. It was much easier on the brain. She only had one thing to say.
“Um, Mysti?”
“Yeah?”
“I like it.”
Mysti squealed. “Yay! I knew you would!” She threw her arms around Moon again, and Moon shrugged her off almost immediately.
“Just because I hugged you once doesn’t mean you can hug me all the time.”
Mysti’s hands flew up to her mouth. “Oh, I’m sorry!”
Moon nodded, looking satisfied. Mysti laughed, not at all discreetly.
“What?”
“You’re supposed to say, ‘That’s okay,’ or something. It’s polite.”
“Sorry.”
“That’s okay.” Mysti giggled. “See what I did there?” She laughed like it was the funniest thing she’d ever heard.
“Mysti. What are you going to call yourself?” Moon steered the conversation back to where it was supposed to be.
“Oooh, I hadn’t thought about that.”
Mysti began walking in circles again as the chopper Moon had heard earlier hovered in the night sky, its searchlight sweeping across the plane above them.
“Hurry up, we need something to tell them,” Moon urged as the spotlight fell on the two teenagers, blinding them. “And cover your-!”
“Eureka! Mystique! It means an aura of mystical powers which is like perfect for me, dontcha think? It compliments my name perfectly, too, right?” Mysti clapped her hands, pleased with herself, as Moon sighed. Back to the italics.
Moon noticed the helicopter trying to land on the roof, unsure of how to get around the plane. Having forgotten all about the actual plane, and infinitely glad that her power works without direct attention, she glided it up several hundred feet, giving ample room for the chopper to land.
It did indeed land, finding what the girls hadn’t noticed on their roof - a helipad. The blades hadn’t even begun to slow when a reporter for NBC and her camera man jumped out, already filming.
“-face.” Moon muttered the ending to her now useless advice, shaking her head and backing out of the spotlight.
The reporter looked into the camera and began to speak as she moved closer to the spotlighted girls. “We are here on the scene of a supernatural act of courage where the only people around appear to be these two girls. Hello! Can you tell us what happened here tonight?” The reporter thrust her mic in Mysti’s face.
“Of course!” Mysti chirruped, pulling Moon back into the spotlight. Mysti pointed at Moon as she said, “She stopped the plane from crashing with her awesome force fields!”
“A superpower? Would you say that you are a superhero, Miss?” The reporter shoved her mic in Moon’s face, making her distinctly uncomfortable.
“Um, yes?” Moon glanced at Mysti, who nodded encouragingly. “Yes.”
“The world is in debt to you tonight, Miss…” The reporter waited expectantly for Moon to give her name. Moon determinedly looked face on into the camera, accepting her new destiny.
“Impact. Call me Impact.”