Stars | Teen Ink

Stars

May 17, 2017
By Anonymous

I walk carefully along the shingles, being careful to avoid the leaves that are surrounding my feet. I tread lightly as to not wake my parents who are asleep beneath, and I duck pass my brothers room, careful to not let my shadow pass his window. As I reach the edge of the roof I look down at the ground not far below me. The ground turns and spins slightly. I always feel a certain urge to jump, just a curiousness of what it would be like, but so far I’ve always decide it probably wouldn’t be the smartest idea ever. I’ve never been a fan of heights but being on the roof has always comforted me. I turned away from the edge and scrambled up the slanted roof until I reached the peak. I carefully lay on my back facing the dark sky, close my eyes, and spread my arms. There is a certain feeling you get laying on the roof, peacefulness, and a coolness. I open my eyes and gaze at the stars and moon above me. I try to find the few constellations that I know by heart. Orion is the first constellation I find. As I look at the sky I immediately find the line of three stars that institute his belt. As I search the sky for the remaining stars that construct Orion’s figure a weak breeze starts to blow. It’s cool against my skin and I feel Goosebumps rise along my arms. I sit up and listen to the wind rushing through the trees and see their branches swaying slowly. The wind picks up and the trees whistle and creak. I glance up at the sky and see that clouds have started to cover the stars and slowly each one fades out of view. Humidity soon fills the air and makes it thick and warm I realize that rain will come soon but have no intention of going inside just yet. As another gust of wind blows, a flock of birds spring from a tree and fly with haste, trying to make it home before the rain wears them down. They fly overhead and I can’t help but think about how incredible it must be to be a bird, to fly. Some people claim that animals have no soul and I wonder if that might be a good thing. They are simple-minded creatures with just the worriment of staying alive long enough to enjoy themselves. As I think this, lightning strikes in the distance, thunder claps, and the rain begins to fall. At first it is cold and wet but soon I can barely feel the drops as they fall upon my skin. I just hear the sound, the tapping of each droplet upon the shingles. The wind has gotten strong and I stand to go inside. As I stand there is a flash, a burn, and everything spins as I feel myself tumble. I land hard, unable to move my body I lay there listening to the tapping, I smell a burning but my mind is foggy and I can’t seem to figure out where its coming from. It becomes peaceful, and a coolness comes over me as I lie there looking upward, I see the moon and stars peeking out from behind a cloud, as my vision slowly fade to darkness.