Sunrise to Sunset. | Teen Ink

Sunrise to Sunset.

May 10, 2017
By jlzimm98 BRONZE, Sandy , Utah
jlzimm98 BRONZE, Sandy , Utah
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm just an individual who doesn't feel that I need to have somebody qualify my work in any particular way. I'm working for me.-David Bowie


It's a flash fiction short story about a Man and his notice of his surroundings around the time of his death.

Chapter 1: Sunrise Sunset

The sun always rises. There has to be a reason I suppose but I don’t know it, but the sun always rises.  Laying in a bed all day, you don’t have much to do but look. Look at the tv, look at the door, it’s always looking here. I can’t move at all, all I can do is stare. Stare at the nurses and doctors as they come in and out of my room to check on things.
“No change so far” Doctor, James I think his name was, said.
“Do you think Mr. Pratt will recover?” said a nurse as she was propping my head up on my pillow. The doctor looked at me, flashing his stupid light in my eyes.
“I don’t know, his eyes are open, and is looking around, which is good. But it’s been several weeks, I don’t think he’ll….” He sighed. He’ll what doc? Recover? Can't I move or speak again?
“Well…. I guess we just have to wait then?” The nurse said. The Doctor nodded and they walked out of the room, closing the door behind them. He really said that? Right in front of me, he didn’t consider since my eyes are open I couldn’t hear? Should be used to that right now. Even the people who are supposed to watch me ignore me in some way. It’s how I got here in the first place. It’s why the chair next to my bed is empty and shall be forever now. I look around the room, it’s so empty. So cold. With her, everything used to be warm, bright and colorful. I want to be with her. Pain. I can feel pain. All of a sudden, there’s noise. Beeping, as if an alarm. I look, everything's so blurry. The door opens and I can see… I think. The doctor and nurses running in.  They are shouting something…everything’s still blurry…the pain’s increasing…the noise is increasing. I look around trying to clear my vision…oh…the window…the sun...it’s setting. How beautiful.

*beep* *beep* *beep* *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

“Call it. Time: 8:05 pm”

Chapter Notes:

This will be the only chapter as it is a flash fiction story. Basically, it's a short story.