Pink with Envy | Teen Ink

Pink with Envy

May 8, 2017
By Anonymous

I glance over to the right and angrily stare at Lavinia’s sparkly pink gel pen. She sat there scribbling doodles on her paper, wasting all of the beautiful ink. The stupid pen was nowhere to be found in stores. I begged mother and father for it, but they didn’t do a good job searching for it. They told me it wasn’t sold anywhere but I think they should have looked harder. Just as I was about to ask Lavinia where on earth she found that thing, she popped the pen into her pencil case and stood up.

“Mrs. Sherry I have to pee!” she squealed.

“You may go. Please just ask politely next time, the entire class doesn’t need to know the details,” the teacher dryly responded.

She sauntered out of the classroom, her blonde hair shimmering as she moved. Her pencil case sat within arm’s reach of me, the plastic pink box teasing me and laughing, knowing how desperately I wanted its contents. I glanced around the room. Everyone was laughing and talking, paying no mind to me. Lavinia would be back from the bathroom fast. Without a second thought, I quickly reached over and popped the box open. There it was. The pink pen sat glistening on top of the mountain of pens and pencils. I snatched it and closed the box back up. I twirled the pen in my hands, clicking it a few times. The classroom door swung open, so I quickly shoved the pen into my coat pocket. I tried to look busy by writing gibberish all over my paper with a plain, boring black pen. The bell was about to sound, alerting us of the end of the day, and we all began to pack up. Lavinia threw her pencil case into her backpack. Little did she know that one of its inhabitants has gone missing. I packed up with a smirk on my face, patting my pocket to check on the little passenger.

When I got home, I ran quickly to the stairs, for I couldn’t bear the wait anymore. All I wanted was to scribble all over everything I owned. Just as I was halfway up the stairs, I heard my mom calling my name from the kitchen.

“Emma! Come into the kitchen please! Mommy and Daddy have a surprise for you.”

I pushed the pen further down into my pocket and slowly made my way to kitchen. I stood in the doorway, staring at the ‘surprise’ that lay on the kitchen table.

“What’s wrong? Don’t you like it?” My mom questioned, looking worried.

I tried to muster a smile, but my stomach was beginning to feel as if there was a butterfly colony within. I couldn’t peel my eyes away from it, and my hand found itself inside my coat pocket. They had bought me the pink pen.