Coming Home | Teen Ink

Coming Home

?“Mommy the snow looks so pretty.” We were on our way to the store to pick up daddy’s present for Christmas. “So what kind of present do you want to get your dad sweetie?” My mother’s voice interrupted my day dreaming. I was dreaming about what it would be like when daddy got home from the war on Christmas day. I mean there were only 2 days left and I was overly excited. “I want to get him the best gift ever, so he knows I love him oh so much. I was thinking maybe a bear from Build-A-Bear with an army shirt and an army tutu.” I replied with the biggest smile on my face. I haven’t seen my dad in I don’t know how long. He was finally coming home, back to his family.
?We finally got to the store when mommy got a call on her phone. I could tell it was important by the way she had shushed me quiet. I couldn’t hear what was being said on the other side of the phone, but it must’ve been sad, because mommy’s eyes welled up with tears. “Mommy what’s wrong? Is everything okay?” I asked worriedly. “Everything is fine my little butterball. Now unbuckle your belt and hop out the car so we can go shopping.” I quickly got my belt off and jumped out the car landing in a heap of snow. I giggled as I grabbed mommy’s hand and started walking towards the mall. My mom still had such a worried look on her face. I was worried that maybe something bad had happened to dad. But I was taught to never think bad about anything happening with my dad because he can feel how imp feeling. That’s what mommy told me. That’s why I’m always happy so that way my daddy will be happy also. I was scared to ask mom why she looked so sad and worried. But it might be better to just leave it alone. After all, there are only 2 more days till Christmas.
?On the drive back home, my present for daddy in my arms, my mom turned down the radio. “Honey there’s something I need to tell you, and I know it might be a little upsetting but please remember to stay happy for your father, okay?” I had a feeling she was going to tell me something absolutely horrible. What if daddy got hurt? What if there’s something wrong with mommy? So many what ifs. “Honey are you listening?” I zoned back to reality where I was about to hear something that I probably wouldn’t want to hear. But I was ready.
?I was awaiting the news in the backseat of the car, with the radio faintly playing in the background. “Your dad was on the phone earlier. He didn’t have time to talk since he was really busy, but he told me to let you know that hes not coming home for Christmas.” I looked down at the little plush bear in my hands and pressed the paw. “You’re my hero daddy” I had put my voice into it so I can always be with him. A tear had dropped down my face as I realized what was going on. On the entire way home I didn’t make a sound. I didn’t drift off into my day dreams; I wasn’t excited for Christmas anymore. It was just another day for me. I fell asleep thinking about all the good times I’ve had with my dad.
?December 24 passed by so quickly. I just laid in bed and watched SpongeBob all day. I didn’t want to move. I didn’t want to believe that my dad wasn’t going to be here on Christmas day. Oh well, there’s really nothing I can do about it. I just miss my dad so much. Again I found myself drifting away into a deep sleep. I awoke Christmas morning to my mom by my bed on the phone with my dad. He was boarding his flight to come home! I was super excited. “I thought you weren’t coming home daddy.” “How could I stay away from my little girl for such a long time? And be prepared because I have presents! I have to go sweetie I’ll see you in a couple of hours.” I was screaming with joy getting dressed and doing my hair, making sure the house looked perfect for my dad. This is the best Christmas yet. I’m standing by the door waiting for him. His little bear in my hands. He opens the door and I jump into his arms and smother him with kisses.