Crying Into Applesause | Teen Ink

Crying Into Applesause

By Kendell_Ullmann BRONZE, Vincent, Ohio
Kendell_Ullmann BRONZE, Vincent, Ohio

When new teeth begin to shove their way through your gums you learn why babies cry so much when they are going through it. Teething pains, I've learned, are not fun for anyone of any age. Whether you don't have room in your mouth for them to come up so they push, poke, and prod around, or that they are simply coming up then going down then coming back whenever they so please; they are not fun. The shooting pains that move from the bottom part of your mandible surge up and manifest into seemingly never-ending headaches that wrap around your skull. This then turns into a dull throbbing ache starting from the lower corner of your jaw bone, up through the bottom row of all your teeth, then down into your neck, chest, and behind your ears.

When you realize that your teeth are moving, after spending money to get them where they are now, your heart drops and you fall into a dismal state. First one begins to turn from this newfound pressure, then another responds with rebuttal, which sends a chain reaction to the neighboring tooth and soon your teeth are right back to where they were before all the alterations. This new tooth wants to be a part of the family so badly that it will wedge itself under an adjacent tooth, pushing it out of the way and forcing your mouth to make room. This process is what can be held responsible for all your teeth now becoming crooked and cramped. If you did end up having room, or even just enough for the tooth to try, it will then wiggle up splitting your gums in sections and peeking out to see what's going on.

After surgery you are then put on bed rest for anywhere from four days to a week and a half of recovery time. In this delicate time you are not to be driving, only eating soft foods that don’t require exertion, and hardly being able to talk which can really take a toll on you. You sit there with your puffy cheeks only being able to give a nod for whether or not you want more soup or apple sauce while your friends are hanging out having fun. Eating becomes a sort of challenge, you either play it safe with food you can just slide on back or risk it and eat something with real protein and delicately avoid the swelling and stiches. Be cautious not to try and smile too early or talk too much in one setting or your jaw will give you grievances for the entirety of the night.

Getting your teeth ripped and cut out is not fun.