Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

John said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 7:19 am
This is a solid piece of art. It is robust, but also fine and delicate. This author will be a total success and we will remember this master piece.

you said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 10:42 am
nice description. looking forward to more.

someone who said...
great work. keep writin. best friend

Kelz1141This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Love how ironic the title is, nice job! =)

evrycloudyday7 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
that was really cool! nice idea.

ariwrites94 said...
Jan. 7, 2010 at 8:28 am
Wow! wonderful article!!! if you have time maybe you could read my short story called "Held Hostage". Continue writing!!!

chelliex65 said...
Wow. This is good. Love the description.

that guy who said...
nice job =) nothing i have to ad O_O

LectorS said...
Amazing Story!!

LectorS said...
Wow. Amazing Story!

combatbarbie said...
Wow..that was so cool.

Helen said...
Apr. 16, 2009 at 12:18 am
This is an excellent piece of work full of emotion, exitement, sparkling wit and strong punchline. Keep it on. Waiting for your next story!

JJ said...
Well Done! Waiting for your nect piece.

pianoman said...
Apr. 7, 2009 at 10:56 am
Wow... that's quite some vivid writing Andy. It's an interesting topic - about death and assassins. Sounds to me quite a mature type of
topic you've gotten into.But it's nice ...keep up the good creative writing "shots."

jazz said...
Apr. 7, 2009 at 10:49 am
It's great stuff! Well done - I assume you are both in the Science and in the Creative Writing club.

sol said...
Apr. 7, 2009 at 10:45 am
Wow! I am impressed. For such a short piece, it is full of emotion and passion. Good job! Love the ending.

sonny said...
Apr. 7, 2009 at 10:40 am
This is wonderful. What is the frequency for this? Congrats .

blue sky said...
Apr. 7, 2009 at 10:34 am
Great to combine hard science with fiction. Enjoyed the punchline.

Stephenmcrey said...
That was good, though I did have to look it up.
Could you check this out to give me feedback?

TeenInk.com/raw/Fiction/article/96942/Our-Army/

Tia Patri said...
Apr. 6, 2009 at 12:34 am
Andy,

Congrats !!! I read your story and I liked it very much !! It's concise and I think it has all the elements of a good short story with a good punchline !

Congrats again !! and I'd like to keep on reading your stories or novels !!!

Kisses,

Patricia