Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

By Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other
Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

on Jun. 14 2012 at 9:09 pm
Pika_Princess, Escondido, California
Whoa! Didn't see that coming!

on Apr. 30 2012 at 7:31 pm
Cacher08 BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
The twist at the end was creative and awesome. Revenge stinks!

swag12 said...
on Apr. 20 2012 at 11:49 am
cheer for what

swag12 said...
on Apr. 20 2012 at 11:47 am
awsome story i loved it

swag12 said...
on Apr. 20 2012 at 11:45 am
oh my ghosh

on Apr. 2 2012 at 12:08 pm
OMG ur stiry waz amazing!!!! kepp writing!!

on Mar. 31 2012 at 9:25 pm
PrudenceFang BRONZE, Herriman, Utah

"Life isn't worth living unless you believe in something."

I loved it! The twist ending was so awesome! Completely unexpected. :) So cool. LOVED IT!!   

on Mar. 20 2012 at 11:46 pm
Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

-The only time you can get away with murder is when writing a book!

Hey just to let you know iv written a new piece called The Land Of Nod, would you mind checking it out for me? Thanks

on Feb. 19 2012 at 6:31 pm
Free_One PLATINUM, ????, Ohio

"I am not invincible or unstoppable, but I stay strong because it is the only way to survive in this world."

This was amazing! And i'm sorry i haven't commented on any of your work in a long time! Thanks again for commenting on my story THE BEAST. This was SOOOO good! keep writing! I really liked the ending! :)(:

on Feb. 14 2012 at 7:56 am
Thanks, your comment really means a lot to me. I'm glad you enjoyed it. All the best!

on Feb. 14 2012 at 7:55 am
Dextrocardia is a condition in which the heart (-cardia) of a person is located on the right (dextro-) side of his torso rather than the conventional or usual left. The hyphen at the end is just a typo. Thanks for the read!

on Feb. 14 2012 at 7:53 am
Thanks, I was trying to go for the shocking twist ending. Glad you enjoyed it!

on Feb. 14 2012 at 7:52 am
Thanks for the comment! I'm happy you liked it. Cheers!

on Feb. 12 2012 at 1:26 pm
Sofia_Sorabella SILVER, Pocatello, Idaho

A word is a bud attempting to become a twig. How can one not dream while writing? It is the pen which dreams. The blank page gives the right to dream.
- Gaston Bachelard

I love the ending! At first I was wondering how Jack could have died since he had gone so long surviving so the ending was satisfying :) Very good job I hope you keep writing :)

Jo-Z12 BRONZE said...
on Feb. 6 2012 at 2:33 pm
Jo-Z12 BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
what does the ending mean? like the little slash mark and the word itself?

on Feb. 6 2012 at 11:21 am
Formanator BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Very unique idea! Very descriptive, and flowed well. Ending was very suprising, and you deffinetly avoided the cliche!

Ruiki SILVER said...
on Jan. 28 2012 at 8:02 am
Ruiki SILVER, Malabon City, Other
Thanks for the nice read :))

on Jan. 28 2012 at 7:00 am
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

on Jan. 19 2012 at 1:53 pm
CelestaCuffrig GOLD, Loveland, Colorado

"Inspiration is only as enlightening as you are open to it."

Since it's so short, I was waiting for an "unexplained", supernatural kind of ending, but this just made me smile :) Wonderful job!

on Jan. 7 2012 at 11:11 am
Ahmad-Mobeen GOLD, Rawalpindi, Other

Understand life... Don't just STAND UNDER it!

Thanks for taking the time out Andy! =) It means a lot! =)

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!