The Story of George Washington | Teen Ink

The Story of George Washington

March 28, 2017
By Nicoleni BRONZE, Shenzhen, Other
Nicoleni BRONZE, Shenzhen, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I am an American. Many people know me because I am the first President of the United States. My name is George Washington.
I was born into the provincial gentry of Colonial Virginia to a family of wealthy planters who owned tobacco plantations and slaves, which I eventually inherited. I was named George Washington. In my youth, I became a senior officer in the colonial militia during the first stages of the French and Indian War.
Later in my career, the Second Continental Congress commissioned me as commander-in-chief of the Continental Army in the American Revolution. In that command, I forced the British out of Boston in 1776 but was defeated and nearly captured later that year when I lost New York City. It was a big blow to me: I was always excellent and had never ever experienced failure. What is more, I could not see America’s future anymore, all hopes went that day. During that period of time, I drank a lot and ignored all the official documents. But one day, things changed. I was sitting in my bedroom and looking outside. Suddenly, I was attracted by a woman. She was so beautiful that I felt my heart beating faster. Wanting to know who she was, I asked my secretary and he told me that woman was one of my new slave, Helen. Hearing about that, I asked my secretary to let her come to see me. When she came to my room, I told her what she should do every day: usually things like this were done by my secretary. In the following days, the desire to know her swelled. As a result, I made her to clean my office everyday: so I could have more time to talk with her. Just as I expected, she did not seem to notice that I had an ulterior motive. Gradually, we were less like slaves and owners, and more like friends. Whenever I told her the unsatisfactory things I faced, she would comfort me and encouraged me. It was her that accompanied me though that difficult time.
So latter in the Battle of Trenton, after crossing the Delaware River in the middle of winter, I came back from the dead and defeated the British in two battles, retook New Jersey, and restored momentum to the Patriot cause. My strategy enabled Continental forces to capture two major British armies at Saratoga and Yorktown. In battle, I  repeatedly outmaneuvered British generals with larger armies.
After victory had been finalized in 1783, I proved my opposition to dictatorship and my commitment to American republicanism. I presided over the Constitutional Convention, which devised a new form of federal government for the United States. Then, I was elected as the first president in the United States. I wanted to thank Helen: she helped me a lot. Having an overmastering passion over her, I wanted her to marry me. However, I knew it was impossible since a slave could never marry their owner at that time. As president, I had to be responsible for my country, my citizens. If I abolished slavery, the United States’ economic system would crash. I felt pity for the rest of my life, since I could not ask Helen to marry me.
Time flew by; my health got much worse than before. I knew I was dying, so I wrote my will. In my will, I abolished slavery for the whole country: I wanted my next generation to finish my hope.
This was an unforgettable experience in my life; my name is George Washington.