The Letter | Teen Ink

The Letter

February 9, 2009
By Trish SILVER, Lubbock, Texas
Trish SILVER, Lubbock, Texas
6 articles 3 photos 0 comments

People are always talking about how someone made a difference in their lives; well I have a story to top them all. When I was maybe five or six years old, I decided that I wanted a swimming pool in the backyard and my parents said that we couldn't get one so, I went out to the garage and got the little garden shovel and my little blue bucket and went out to the backyard to dig myself a swimming pool. I sat there digging for maybe two or more hours, (I kept stopping, for drinks and food.) and the hole was maybe a foot deep, when my shovel hit something hard, I hit it again, it was something metal. So I quickly dug until I could get what I had hit out of the ground. It was a small, metallic tube. I thought that it was a treasure chest, with jewels, money and gold but when I opened it, it was nothing more than a piece of parchment. But little did I know, that little piece of paper would change my life. For what this little piece of paper had written on it was more valuable than anything in the world. This strong message was 'You can do anything you set your mind to as long as you try.' At first, I didn't know what it meant, but as I got older I learned to live by that little message. Thanks to that little piece of paper, I did try and now I'm a very well known and well respected physician. You really can do anything that you set your mind to.