The Big Hit | Teen Ink

The Big Hit

January 9, 2017
By Mules_321 BRONZE, Newmarket, New Hampshire
Mules_321 BRONZE, Newmarket, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

CRACK! The ball soars into the stands, a home run. Now, the Cubs are only down by three, there are three men in the order until the pitcher.  Oscar’s coach comes over, he says with a raspy voice, “If Hendricks gets up you’re in for him”.

With no hesitation Oscar yells, “YES COACH!” with a nervous manner.
He gets his helmet and bat. Once he got those he stood on the steps and watch the game unfold. The man at the plate was walked. Oscar was on deck. The umpire yells, “Ball Four”! 

This is it, Oscar is up to bat. He digs in. The first pitch comes in. “Strike One!” the umpire yells.
The next pitch, the ball comes in. “Strike Two!”
The next three pitches are all balls. This is it, a three and two count. The pitch comes in really slow, a changeup. He weights and swings. A loud crack as the ball soared straight into his ankle. He drops to the ground. But oddly Oscar springs right up without effort. Oscar thinks, Just play it off.
He waves the medics off. He quickly gets in again. His ankle is throbbing in pain. The pitch comes in, Crack. He knew it, he flips the bat and rounds the bases. He didn’t hear a thing, he was in so much shock. He hits first and falls to the ground his ankle hurts so much. He limps all the way to home where the celebration begins. The medics try to take him away from the pile but there was no way he was ever going to leave this celebration. The Cubs have finally won it all. Oscar has brought it back to Chicago.


The author's comments:

What inspired me was the Chicago Cubs finally winning the world series. That was a big moment in history so I thought I would write about it.