Life in Another House | Teen Ink

Life in Another House

The door slams shut. Here I am left alone again. I know they're going to be gone for a long time. Whenever they take those boxes with wheels on the bottom, it’s a sign. I wonder how long they will be gone this time around.. Now the question is, what do I do while they’re gone?

Obviously, I’m going to to do the things that they don’t let me do when they’re here. Such as eat the flowers, and then push the vase over when I’m done; or even gallop down the hall like a horse at 4:00am! I’m so excited! Wait, what just happened. Oh, it appears that I have fallen asleep! That seems to happen to me frequently. It’s okay, it’s a cat thing.
Wait! Is that the door? They’re back! The human that is at the door is holding a bag of treats. I do not know this human. Therefore, I shall meow and run away. It’s too late, he grabs me. This is where I get scared. I struggle to get out of his grasp. I fail. I’m carried out to the other side of the door.
I’ve been here before. It’s cold and scary out here. I get thrown into a dark room. It starts to vibrate and tilt. I feel like I’m going to vomit; that’s probably the flowers I ate earlier, but I really start to feel light-headed.
I’m in this somewhat deadly contraption for five minutes, feeling queasy, until I finally get taken out. There’s only one thing on my mind, What are they going to do to me? I had never experienced so much fear. The transformation from light to dark blinds my color blind eyes. I get thrown into a different house. The humans have hushed voices.  I don’t understand human language, and they could be plotting something. I’m frightened.
After an hour of bashing my face into their chair legs to show them who's boss, one of them picks me up, the same way I was picked up before, but this time, gently places me in a room with a bed, a litter box, and food and water. I think to myself, this isn’t too bad. I’m still afraid. Maybe they’re doing this to make it seem like it’s safe here when it really is not. What if...wait. what just happened? Oh, I fell asleep again! Oh well.
I awaken, and it’s very dark. I automatically know what I should do. At least while I’m still alive, I should do what I do best. GALLOP LIKE A HORSE DOWN THE HALL WHILE EVERYONE IS ASLEEP! I don’t know why it’s so fun. I guess I just like the workout. It burns off the calories of all of the flowers I eat.
I soon realize that it isn’t too bad in this house. I will get used to it, and soon realize that the people aren’t going to hurt me. At least not yet. Either way, I miss my humans, I miss my house. Will they ever come back? AAaand, I fall asleep again. It’s okay. It passes time.
I open my eyes. with a growling stomach. It’s sunny outside. I go to my food bowl, and realize there’s no food. I ate it all the day before. I meow my head off and scratch at the door, begging for a reply. The human opens the door with a worried look on his face. I am surprised, I wasn’t expecting a reply. So, I just walk to my food bowl and the human closes the door. Then, I remember how hungry I am. I scratch the door, he comes back, and this time, he puts in food. I eat happily. And since I don’t like the design of the litter box, I poop on the floor. Humans don’t like that. But it’s okay. I fall asleep again.
I wake up, and there’s a human next to me. He’s petting me, and for the first time in days, I feel completely safe and happy. He has a smile on his face, not an evil smirk, but a smile. I haven’t been pet in a while. I forgot how good it feels. As if the petting was a lullaby, I fall asleep. Again.
I wake up in pitch darkness. This environment seemed oddly familiar. Before I can figure it out, the world starts to vibrate and tilt. Oh no. Not this again. I’m not as scared as before, because I know nothing bad will happen. I get taken out, and before I know it, I’m in my house; my humans are there! I run towards them, run past them, and smash my face into the wall behind them. The wall has a weird aroma, and seems to be a different shade, that even my color blind eyes can detect. Before I think too much about it, I remember - MY HUMANS! I run to all of them and nuzzle their feet, so glad to be back.
Where do my humans go when they walk outside that door? I don’t know. But all I know is that when they come back, we will be joyful to see each other. Before I can think too much about that, I fall asleep.