The Ride | Teen Ink

The Ride

By Tesa Hinton GOLD, Mystic, Iowa
Tesa Hinton GOLD, Mystic, Iowa

The last time I did something terrifying, I was 17 years old. My mother took me to an amusement park and I saw all the huge rides. I wanted to be reckless, adventure out, and ride something completely out of the ordinary. I dreamed about riding the most terrifying roller coaster on earth. The only draw back- I was scared.
I had never done anything like this before. I climbed up into the fifth seat from the front. If I was going to do this; there was no way I was going to be the first to die, or the last. I yanked down on the seat belt, jerked the chest guard down, held on as tight as I could to the handlebars and squeezed my eyes shut.
The roller coaster flew down the raggedy track; I opened my eyes just a little. The ride whipped up to the right and then left, soared through the treetops and back down a massive slop. It bent up and down and rolled side to side. The ride spun 'round and 'round huge loops that traveled upside down. They were so tall and massive I had to shut my eyes once again.
The ride was almost over, and I thought I was going to puke! I couldn't wait to remove my self from this sticky seat. When the ride finally halted to a stop, I jumped out and waited for my mother to follow me. I wasn't quite sure why everyone was laughing at me, but I didn't really care at that point.
My mother finally got out of the seat; she too was laughing. I just gave a 'Humph!' and went about my way. I walked a few footsteps in front of my mom and tried remembering what made me want to get on that ride in the first place.
When we finally hit the food court at the amusement park, my mother had stopped laughing so hard, but she was still snickering. I sat down and waited for her to explain herself but she just stared blankly. She sat. I waited. She moved. I stared.
'That's it!' I shrieked. 'Tell me why in the world you are laughing at me!'
My mom just smiled gently and stated, 'Honey, you were riding the ferris wheel.' Then broke out in loud, embarrassing, laughter.