Unexpected Blessing | Teen Ink

Unexpected Blessing

March 5, 2009
By Nate Lambka BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
Nate Lambka BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Darkness blanketed the cold alley. Shadows leapt as the couple walked past the closed store. Silence surrounded them. They could only hear their breathing and cars going by in the distance.

Isabella wondered why her husband had chosen to come though this alley rather then walking around the block. But her husband wasn't a man to start a fight about directions. Henry had a puzzled look on his face like he didn't know where he was going. Yet he walked forward with a purpose like it was the right way to go.

Ahead of them, a dark figure popped out and jogged toward them. The figure pulled out a gun and said, stuttering, 'Give me your wallet and you the purse too'. The dark mysterious person shook, and looked all around him, his head on a swivel. He pointed his gun, shaking violently, at Henry. Isabella quickly took her purse off her shoulder and handed it hastily to Henry. She hoped with all of her heart that this would all be over. Henry tossed his wallet and Isabella's purse to the attacker. The man grabbed the stuff and with sweat pouring down his face he cocked the gun. There was a loud click of metal hitting metal. Isabella new what that sound meant. It meant that the gun was now alive and could propel a projectile that was deadly and that could quickly end one of their lives. Isabella uttered out a small 'please no.' But that wasn't enough to stop this attacker. He turned sideways ready to run and he fired the bullet. The bullet hit Henry square in the chest. He fell to the ground and Isabella let out a scream. He had fallen to the ground and laid still. Isabella tore off his shirt. And under his shirt was the bullet, crumpled up in his Olympic medal. He was alive.

The author's comments:
This is my first fiction piece that i have submitted. I recently submitted a non-fiction piece to This I Believe.