Aquila's Origins | Teen Ink

Aquila's Origins

By Tetsuku BRONZE, Broomfield, Colorado
Tetsuku BRONZE, Broomfield, Colorado

Cyrus walked to school through a thick white wall of snow. The cold biting away at his tired eyes chilling him to the bone. He turned a corner and walked towards the short building, grey through the snow storm, it was his fourth day at this school and his insomnia wasn’t helping with his anxiety about being the outcast here too. The bell rang as Cyrus sat in his seat next to Nydra.

“Good morning class,” Ms. Duval said, “I hope you’re staying warm during this sudden snow storm. Could you please pull out last night's homework, then we’ll get started.” Cyrus pulled out his homework and a notebook, Nydra tappe Cyrus’s shoulder.
“Yea?”
“could I see your homework, I didn’t have time to do it last night.” Nydra said as she smiled. Cyrus slid the homework over to Nydra.
“Here, be quick if you can.” The wind rattled the windows covering them in a layer of ice. Ms. Duval looked at the windows then to her students.
“Today you’ll be learning about how different species hibernate,” Ms. Duval pulled out a hat with pieces of paper inside,
“You will be doing this in partners so pull a slip of paper out of this hat starting with you.” Ms. Duval held the hat out in front of Cyrus, he put his hand in a pulled out a slip of paper, he unfolded it and read the name on it.
“Nydra.” the teacher moved on to the rest of the class as the temperature fell slowly starting to create clouds when people talk.
“It’s really getting cold, Ms. Duval can I go get my coat from my locker?” Nydra asked. Ms. Duval nodded, “
Hurry back.” Nydra nodded and left the classroom.
When the time came for lunch break the floors were almost ice, Cyrus headed outside, the roads were starting to freeze over causing cars to skid and spin out of control. Cyrus hurried home to escape the cold, when he got inside he went to the kitchen seeing a note on the fridge, ‘There’s lunch in the box. Be back at six -mom’ Cyrus sighed then took the food into his room and put it on his desk. He leaned back in his chair and noticed a small black hexagonal box on his desk, he looked inside the box to see a bronze eagle shield brooch. He smiled then put it on, a ball of light shot out of it. Cyrus screamed and fell out of his chair, there was a small creature that looked like a mini eagle human hybrid.
“Don’t be frightened Cyrus, I’m Cosimo a kuami that can grant you a power that this city desperately needs you just have to do one thing.” The creature said. Cyrus was to shocked to move,
“y-y-you came out of the brooch... h-how?” Cyrus asked hesitantly. Cosimo sighed,
“Alright, The brooch is made of something called a miraculous stone and you are its new wielder. Every miraculous stone is binded to a kuami, Me, when the wielder says the transformation phrase than the kuami, me, and the wielder, you, transform into a hero.” Cosimo explained, Cyrus was still for a minute then nodded,
“I think I get it but why does the city need this miraculous hero?” Cyrus asked.
“There is someone with a miraculous that is giving off negative energy, if they are to get their hands onto your eagle brooch and the trident ring they will gain ultimate power over this and all other worlds.” Cosimo answered.
“Ok,” Cyrus said while nodding, “what is the phrase i need to say to transform?”
“You just need to say let's fly.”
“Alright,” Cyrus stood and brushed off his shirt, “Cosimo, Let's fly.” a few moments passed and nothing happened. “Did I not do it right?” Cyrus asked worryingly.
“Oh yea,” Cosmo floated onto Cyrus’s shoulder, “You have to be in the air to transform.”
“How high in the air?”
“Umm... one foot should do it.”
“Ok than,” Cyrus climbed a ladder to the terrace on the roof, “I really hope I’m not mad.” Cyrus ran and Jumped off the edge of the roof terrace and shouted, “Let's fly!” Cosimo was absorbed into the brooch morphing Cyrus’s clothes into an eagle type suit landing on the ground in a dive role. “Now that is cool.” Cyrus said looking at his new suit, after admiring the suit he looked up. “Time to find the source of this snow.” Cyrus crouched then jumped soaring above the clouds. “Wow.” he hovered above clouds looking for a clear place in the city. “Got ya.” he flew to the only clear spot and landed on the roof of a news building near a dark figure with raised arms and a scepter
“Sorry to rain on your parade but this town isn’t due for a snowstorm for a few more weeks.” Cyrus said to the figure who slowly turned.
“I am darkstorm, and I alone say the forecast, and we’re expecting a freak lightning storm.” Darkstorm smiled as a bolt of electricity flew past Cyrus. “You are no match for me!”
“What about me?” a wielder in a fox suit landed a kick on Dark Storms shoulder causing him to lose ballance. “I’m Vixen, maybe you’ve heard of me?”
“Well little arctic fox, I hope you like the cold.” Darkstorm said as a flurry of snow began to swirl around Cyrus and Vixen, darkstorm disappeared into the flurry of snow, “Why don’t you try and find me, at least one of us will be entertained.” Darkstorm said, his voice coming from all around them.
“Wolf Pack!” Vixen said creating several copies of herself and jumped into the snow. Cyrus looked around peering into the snow.
“You’re starting to ruffle my feathers Darkstorm.” Cyrus said noticing a small movement in the storm. “Found you.” he jumped into the storm Tackling Darkstorm to the ground. Darkstorm was shocked.
“How were you able to beat me?” Darkstorm said. Vixen came up to Darkstorm and picked up a microphone attached to his shirt and smashed it, the storm started clearing up and a black butterfly flew out of the broken microphone.
“Another one for my collection,” Vixen put the butterfly in a container then looked at Cyrus, “Unless you want to take this one noobie, you did take him down.” She said smiling at Cyrus.
“You go ahead and take it Vixen I’ll get the one I catch.” Cyrus responded looking forward to the next time they met.