Con | Teen Ink

Con

By Jonathon Utterback BRONZE, Sigourney, Iowa
Jonathon Utterback BRONZE, Sigourney, Iowa

As the sound of a huge metal door slams behind me the thoughts of quilt run through my head. Why did I do it? What was I thinking? The guard leads me down the hall as other prisoners yell and whistle at me. Leads me into the small cell and shoots the cold bars behind me.

I look around at the dirty cell. There were marks and dust on the wall. The toilet was steel and wasn't the kind that makes you convertible. I sat down on the lower bed and sighed. A little Cuban popped over the edge of the top bunk and said, 'Hello, my name is Pedro Marino. What you in here for?' I replied in a scruff voice, 'absolutely nothing.

Pedro says, 'Wow, same for me to. Why don't tell what kind of cop but you in here.'

Well I haven't even been in here for 15 minutes and I was already board so I decided to tell him my side of the story.

I just turned twenty one and my friends had a party for me at a local bar in Miami. I had one shot of whisky that night, because I had a big interview for my promotion.

It was 1:30 am when I started to walk home when I heard a woman scream at the top of her lungs. Quickly, I sprinted to the ally were I saw a man beating her. I grabbed a metal bar lying in the middle of the ally. Angry, I ran over and struck the man in the head. He flopped like a fish to the cold pavement. Blood was coming from his head; an officer was running down the ally from a call about public disturbances. The woman got up hitting me and yelling and hitting me screaming help he attacked me and my husband.

The cop draws his gun and tells me to put the bar down and to get on the ground. I didn't argue and did what he told. I got taken to the police station were the held me there for the night. The woman pressed charges for abuse and here husband almost died from the blow and was intensive care.

It went through many trials but because the couple was good at what they do I got 25 years. Pedro looked at me and said, 'Wow man that really sucks.' I know they were con people and I was the stupid one.

Pedro replied, 'Hey man, you got better excuse than I do.' I just rolled over and thought to my self, why, why did I have to get into some one else business. I found my falling asleep listening to Pedro.