The Cat | Teen Ink

The Cat

By Isaac Carnes BRONZE, Cave Junction, Oregon
Isaac Carnes BRONZE, Cave Junction, Oregon

One night when I was sleeping, I awoke to a mysterious figure sitting on my dresser. I turned on my lamp and there lay this senile looking house cat with a red and white striped top hat. Its huge yellow eyes stared at me. With its mouth slightly open it spoke to me without moving anything on its body.

"Jarred, tomorrow you'll accidentally hurt somebody without even realizing it. They're going to cry themselves to sleep. They're going to have a burning hatred towards you. Choose what you say carefully Jarred."

"Who am I going to hurt? Who are you?"

"Do one thing for me and I'll answer both of those questions for you."

"Ok, what do you want me to do?"

"Wake up."

At that instant my alarm went off and I woke up. The cat was gone and there was no evidence of his presence last night.

I climbed out of bed and did my daily morning routine then went to school. I was very conscious of what the cat had said so I chose my words wisely throughout the day. I didn't like to make people cry.

I thought I had done a good job at being nice all day. I couldn't wait until tonight. I had high hopes that the senile cat figure would return.

The evening went by fairly quick. Now I was in bed lying there trying to fall asleep.

The cat woke me up at midnight just like the previous night. Except, this time it had a meaner look in its eye. It was noticeably bulkier too.

It didn't speak this time. Instead it got down low, raised its rear end into the air and its pupils exploded in size. It launched at me.

I woke up to my alarm again but this time I was screaming and sweating. I got up and went to my bathroom, closed the door and locked it. I looked into the mirror and I could see my face was stained with blood. There was not a single inch on my face without a scratch.