Light Up the Sky | Teen Ink

Light Up the Sky

July 4, 2016
By Writeupmyalley SILVER, Mena, Arkansas
Writeupmyalley SILVER, Mena, Arkansas
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"What about second breakfast?" - Pippin from Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
"Broken isn't the same as unfixable." - Jacin from the Lunar Chronicles


Tyler watched as her family fussed over the preparations. Her dad quickly setting chairs up outside, while her mom and sister set the table. Little Benny sat next to Tyler oblivious to the commotion. Tyler knew the big celebration was for her, and deep down she almost found it sweet.

“Everyone outside, it’s almost time.” Mom beamed as she stuck a spoon in the pasta and whisked out the back door. Tyler glanced down at the toddler and shrugged her shoulders.
“Come on kid, looks like we have to.” Scooping the child up she followed the others outside. The only lights on were small lamps along the path, and a small lantern on the table. Just like old times. Screams and clanking filled her mind, but she pushed it away. Tonight would not be filled with the horrors of the past. Tonight was to celebrate freedom, and a new beginning. Tyler handed the kid to his mother, and sat down with her family. The family ate in silence watching as several different colors popped in the air. Tyler heard the cheers of the neighbors as they watched the fireworks, and for the first time in six months, smiled. She was free.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece to post on my blog for the 4th of July. I thought I would share it here as well so all of you guys could read it too!