Shadows of the Night | Teen Ink

Shadows of the Night

By VoidLynzi SILVER, Smyrna, Delaware
VoidLynzi SILVER, Smyrna, Delaware

Even the bravest hero loses hope.
Even the strongest one can't save everyone.
Even the good can go bad.
Even the best hunter can fall.

Kersey Whittaker woke in the middle of the night to a dark figure in her room. She tried to scream, but found that her mouth was gagged with a sock. The figure drew closer to Kersey, close enough she could feel his breath on her face, and laughed. Kersey mumbled something, but it was muffled by the gag. The stranger took the gag from her mouth, and laughed again. “Dang it Jonathon, Why do you have to pull these pranks on me?”

“I do it because it’s funny.” Jonathon replied. Kersey smiled innocently, “One more prank, and you’re out of my apartment.” Jonathon frowned. Kersey was a normal twenty-four year old woman with a job, and her own apartment. Her twenty-five year old brother, Jonathon, lived with her. Jonathon was obnoxious, crazy, and somewhat rebellious. He moved out of his friend’s house to live with Kersey when he was twenty-three, and has lived there ever since. Sometimes, he plays practical jokes on Kersey, ones she finds very annoying, that amuse him. Last time, it was glue in the face cream bottle, and glitter in the hair dryer. She was infuriated when she was an hour and a half late to work, due to a needed half-hour shower, to get the glitter and glue off of her face. 

“Trust me this prank is far from over little sister. After I’m done with you, you will wish you were dead.”  Jonathon grabbed the razor blade from the bedside table, gently placed it on Kersey’s forearm, then sliced the skin harshly. She screamed out in pain, and Jonathon shoved the sock back in her mouth. “All my life, you have gotten all the attention. And what do I get? Nothing, absolutely nothing.  You get praised, while I get punished for not being as wonderful.” He sliced every inch of her left arm, each cut deeper than the last. Tears ran down both sides of her face, as her only brother cut her body. She knew when he could cut no more of her, he would kill her. Kersey’s tears only caused her brother to become even angrier. He cut her deeper, harder, and more painfully than any of the others. She kept count of every cut he laid upon her skin. She wondered how many cuts it would take to put her out of her misery. Each time he put another cut across her skin, she hoped the next one would kill her.

Every slice was a blow to the head. She never knew her brother, the brother she loved for twenty-four years, was capable of something like this. She always thought of him as the perfect brother everyone wanted, but only she had. Kersey had never thought of him as a murdering psychopath, ready to kill his little sister at any given moment. She started to feel light-headed. She felt as if sleep was about to overtake her, and she was happy, for she knew she was about to die. She wanted to die. No she needed to die, so she could get away. She heard Jonathon’s voice in her ear, “Goodbye little sister.”, and everything went black. Forever.

I was watching an episode of "Criminal Minds" and it inspired me to write this. I have always wanted to write a piece like this, so thank you "Criminal Minds", you put this in motion!