Child's Paradise | Teen Ink

Child's Paradise

May 20, 2016
By Natasha_Dugger GOLD, Siren, Wisconsin
Natasha_Dugger GOLD, Siren, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The best way to spread christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear." -Buddy The Elf


Things were a lot different back then, When we’d call our friends over to play in the backyard, hiding from our parents when we’d climb to the countertop to find whatever goodies we could get our little hands on. We’d fill the Kitty Pool and gather together all the floaties in the neighborhood to prevent us from drowning in our “Cold as the North Pole” Ocean. Our only worry in the world is who would be in control of the all powerful garden hose our mothers used to plant her beautiful flowers.
          During the winter, when we didn't have to worry about the heat, or the bugs, we were in a child’s paradise. I remember one year, when the first snow hit, for three years I would wake my parents screaming “DID SANTA COME LAST NIGHT?!?!?”not knowing... it was only November. But in the blink of an eye Santa was gone.
          As was the Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, even the Leprechauns on St. Patty’s Day. They had all disappeared, just like that. All the fairytales, the superheros, the magic, It was all gone. Without a warning,
No more child’s paradise.
          it hit me like a Tornadic supercell, ripping through the good memories of the joy when I woke up on Christmas morning, and the painful memories when I lost my precious goldfish, Steve. Leaving behind, only sadness I had felt when I realized, the only things I really knew, were just fairy tales.
          As I watch my cousins, my brother, my sister sit in their rooms and play with their toys, pretending to be peter pan, believing in the mystical villain ‘The Big Toe’ I feel sorrow, because I know I was once a child. I once had wishes beyond anyone’s wildest dreams. But now I’m all grown up, we all are... and my only wish, is not to be young again, but to know all that I knew then, and become a better person than I am today. Because the day we remember how life was when we were young, would be the day that nobody died. The day when angels would sing louder than ever, and at that moment, when we are all asleep, we would open our eyes, and be taken to our home. Our child’s Paradise.