It's just a dream | Teen Ink

It's just a dream

May 20, 2016
By Natasha_Dugger GOLD, Siren, Wisconsin
Natasha_Dugger GOLD, Siren, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The best way to spread christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear." -Buddy The Elf


My  hands  cover  my  face  and  mouth  as  I  scream  into  the  night, pining  for  a  executioner  to  distance  me  from  this  pain. A  knife  in  one  hand,  my  heart in  the  other.  I  choke  and  wheeze  as  I  gasp  for  oxygen,  but  all  that’s  left  in  the  air  is  ashes  of what  was,  and  what  is  meant  to  be.  I  prayed  for  a  savior  but  no  one  would  turn  their  faces, for  I  was  buried  in  the  solitude  of  my  deepest,  darkest  fears.  It’s  just  a  dream,  it’s  just  a  dream I  told  myself  repeatedly. 

The  truth  was  a  dagger,  pain  and  sorrow  were  captivated  by  my  sinful  cries.  It’s  just  a  dream,  it’s  just  a  dream.  I  screamed  into  their  souls,  but  the  message did  not  carry,  for  their  souls  were  burnt,  charred  with  regret  and  forgetfulness  of  their  abundant past  lives,  skies  of  blue  and  the  warm  sunshine  beating  down  on  their  ivory-rose skin.  A  fresh  glass of  lemonade  between  their  infinitesimal  periwinkle  fingertips.  A  small  dog  running  along  the  shore  of  the  local beach,  children  playing  hide  and  seek  and  king  of  the  hill  on  their  “gargantuan”  sandcastles.  teenagers  and  adults  bathe  in  the  light,  hoping,  praying  that  their  Ivory complexion  transforms  into  a  new  shade  of  chestnut,  but  for  the  less  lucky,  would  look  crimson next  to  a  crisply  boiled  lobster. 

If  they  only  knew  that  what  they  were  in  that  life,  would  have no  impact  on  who  they  are  now,  and  how  quickly  death’s  darkness  can  creep  through  the  gentle  raindrops  and  create  a  rushing  waterfall  of  lost  hopes,  lost  dreams,  lost  loves,  lost  lives. Their  eyes  bloodshot,  their  hearts  stained  a  shade  so  dark,  so  black  it  blinded  my  soul.  Leaving me  lifeless,  hopeless,  a  depressing  shell.  Filled  with  fire,  embers  from  their  dazzling  campfires and  radiant  lanterns  outside  their  doorstep,  shining  as  a  permanent  welcome  mat. 

It’s  just  a dream,  it’s  just  a  dream.  Their  lives  resemble  in  every  way  a  raging  cyclone,  an  unbreakable force  as  long  as  life  exists,  they  will  to.  Even  if  they  don’t  want  to.  In  order  to  survive,  they must  destroy,  they  must  kill,  and  where  there  is  life,  there  is  death.

My  life  before  this  was  unlike  any  other.  I  opened  my  eyes,  my  miniscule  structure,  my fragile  hands  wrapped  around  my  mother’s  perfection.  Her strong, substantial  stare,  with  more  love  than  a  fountain.  My  father  staring  over  her  shoulder  at  my  crystal  blue  eyes  and  snow white  hair.  As  I  grew  old  I  knew  I  was  different...  the  other  kids  teased  me,  called  me  crazy  and  it  hurt  like  a  gunshot,  for  I  knew  I  was,  I  believed  their  taunting.  Their  giggles  and  snickers  as  I  hovered  in  the  narrow,  icy  corner.  I  could  see  them,  their  bleak,  bitter,  expressionless  expressions.  Their  lifeless  lonely  corpses  drifting  along  the  desolate,  reclusive  hallways.   A  stone  cold  enigma  that  my eyes  were  cursed  to  partake.  They  were  dead.

I  could  feel  the  fear  in  their eyes,  creeping,  leaning  in,  trying  to  rip  me  from  my  soul,  but  I  am  strong,  I  was  strong. Before  I  was  sent  to  this  wretched  place,  these  uninhabited  inhabitants  I  now  call  my  home.  I was    once  jubilant,  joyous.  Captivated  by  the  beautiful  place  in  which  I  was  raised,  for  I  knew  of  the  other  land.  The  other  life  in  which  would  be  waiting,  anxiously  for  my  arrival,  but  little  did they  know  I  had  been  living  there  my  entire  existence.  Little  did  I  know  that  I  had  been  born Hell-bound. 

It’s  just  a  dream,  it’s  just  a  dream  I  hoped  and  prayed  my  deathly  scream  would  send  me  back  to  my  heavenly  home , the  place  I  once  had  called  my  own.  How  could  a  child  be born  in  this  place,  full  of life,  full  of  hate,  where  I  am  the  bait  for  the  hungry  souls  that  wait for  me  to  lose  my  hold  on  this  life  I  wish  to  live,  in  this  dream  I  must  relive. 

It’s  just  a  dream, it’s  just  a  dream  I  remember  like  it  was  yesterday,  I  was  just  fifteen  sitting  In  my  room  listening to  my  thoughts,  my  music  blasting  my  eardrums,  “The  sound  of  life,” my  mother  used  to  tell  me,  I  let  the  tones  carry  me  to  another  land.  Where  nothing  could  touch  me.  Where  the  silhouettes of  the  past  life  are  deflected  from  the  force  field,  unbroken,  unbreakable.  Stronger  than  a nation,  and  beautiful  as  Aphrodite  I  let  the  music  take  me,  and  I  was  taken.  It’s  just  a  dream, it’s  just  a  dream…  but  I  knew  it  wasn’t,  I  was  afraid,  I  was  alone. 

As  I  try  to  wake  myself  from  this  darkness,  but  each  time  i   pull  away from  it,  it  tugs  me  back  into  it’s  unholy  grip.  But  there  is  a  glow  at  the  end  of  the  tunnel. And  each  day,  each  night  I  try  to  reach  the  unreachable.  I  peek  my  head  out  to  catch  a  glimpse  of  the  other  world. The  light  emerging  from  the  crack  in  the  black  onyx  wall  is  unpretentiously  breathtaking.

A  burst  of  fresh  air,  the  scent  of  cherry  blossoms  and  vanilla  bloom  like  a  steady  rainstorm.  The  turquoise  sky  permeated  by  Ten-Thousand  rainbows.  Clouds  of  whipped  cream  and drops  of  lemons  and  rosemary  infiltrate  the  heavens...  this  was  my  home. But  suddenly  I  am  turned  to  face  the  darkness.  The  fear  was  closing  in  and I  knew  I  didn’t  have  much  time. 
It’s  just  a  dream,  It’s  just  a dream.

I  screamed  at  the  top  of  my  lungs.  The  bittersweet  crimson  river  flowing  through  the  subterranean  depths  of  Hell  was  now  a  part  of  me,  a  part  of  my  essence,  my  breath,  my  vitality,  my  blood. Hyperventilating  as  my  lungs  begin  to  deteriorate  and  my  soul  is  torn  from  my  weak,  mangled  body.  My  eyes  begin  to  fail  as  my  heartbeat  stops...  Almost  instantly  I become  paralyzed. 

It’s  just  a  dream, It’s  just  a  dream,  My  spine  begins  to  separate.  It’s  just  a  dream  It’s  just  a dream, My  hair  catches  fire  and  my  fingernails  are  stained  black,  my  brain  turns  to  obsidian,  The  life  I  once  knew,  the  heaven  in  which  I  called  my  home  is  just  a  memory,  washed  up  on  the  coast  like  a  companionless  aluminum  can,  and  I  was  breathless,  lifeless,  dead...

I  shot  up  out  of  my  bed  and  ran  straight  to  my  parents  bedroom,  my  eyes  discolored,  my  makeup  smudged  with  tears.  My  mother  and  father  ran  to  me  and  held  me  tight,  trying  to  quiet  my  sobbing...
 
  It was just a dream, It was just a dream.