Holden Caulfield's Midterm Exam: Comparing the Greeks to the Romans | Teen Ink

Holden Caulfield's Midterm Exam: Comparing the Greeks to the Romans

February 25, 2009
By Rachel Schowalter BRONZE, Mason, Ohio
Rachel Schowalter BRONZE, Mason, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

The Ancient Greeks and Ancient Romans were impressive societies that continue to fascinate us to this day. Both located on the continent of Europe, Ancient Greece would give rise to what is now known as the country of Greece, while the remnants of Ancient Rome can be seen in the populous city of Rome, Italy. The two cultures had outstanding developments in art, architecture, government and science, but these developments differed in many ways.

The Greeks are most famously known for their intricate mythology. Zeus, the king of all Greek Gods, was the ruler of Mount Olympus and the god of sky and thunder. Although he was married, he was rumored to have had many sexual partners, resulting in godly offspring. His children included Athena, the goddess of war; Hermes, the fast god; Hercules, the strong god; and many more. Like today's Catholic Church and its patron saints, Greek mythology had gods and goddesses to represent various things.

The Greeks are also noted for their awe-inspiring monuments, many of which are still standing. Tourists can visit Greece to see the Acropolis, a large city built for the Greek gods, as well as the Parthenon. The Parthenon was built specifically for Athena, mentioned in the second paragraph as the goddess of war. Most Greek architecture is crumbling away by now, so tourists have to be extremely careful when visiting it. Greece's government even has organizations that are dedicated to preserving the buildings.


The Ancient Romans are attributed to creating the world's first democracy ' the type of government we have in America today. In a democracy, the people vote on certain issues and pick the politicians they want to represent them. The government is divided into three branches: legislative, where they make the laws; executive, where they enforce the laws; and judicial, where they interpret the laws. The leader of the government is known as the President. One of Ancient Rome's most well-known leaders was Julius Caesar, who was brutally stabbed by a group of conspirators. Julius Caesar was made famous by the playwright William Shakespeare, who wrote a play about his gory death.


The Ancient Romans are also remembered by their shocking entertainment, which took place in an amphitheatre called the Coliseum. In the Coliseum, spectators would watch men known as gladiators fight to the death with swords and shields. The winner was determined by the only man left standing. Although the fighting was violent and bloody, the Romans loved watching it. The Coliseum can still be seen today, but like the Parthenon in Greece, most of it has eroded.


The Ancient Greeks and Romans were two very unique societies that have earned their place in history. Their developments in important fields, including art, architecture, government and science, have impacted the way we live our lives today. Without the Greeks and Romans, we would be nowhere.

Dear Mr. Spencer. I'm sorry I only wrote two pages for my essay. I know the minimum number of pages had to be four, but this is all I know. I tried to pay attention to your insightful lectures, but my mind kept drifting elsewhere. I promise I will stay focused in class for the rest of the semester. Sincerely, Holden Caulfield.

The author's comments:
Based off of The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.