Leaving Marcus | Teen Ink

Leaving Marcus

By niamarnay BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
niamarnay BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

I’m a good kid now, I have always kept my grades up to make my parents and myself proud. Instead of me going back to slanging dope,  I decided to go get me a real job. I have my days about it, I just really miss that fast cash but it’s my senior year and I don’t need anything to catch back up to me that will stop me from going to college. I wanna do better than my parents ever did so this little part time will just have to do.
Today is Friday, last day of the week and I’m off the whole weekend, but I can’t go out because my dad steady wants to blow up on me over nothing. I just came home from school and the fact that my bed wasn’t made means I can’t go hangout with my friends for the entire weekend! He always wants to point out petty s*** just for us to get into it, I’m so over this, I wish my mom was still here.
When I was 13, which was 5 years ago my mom was diagnosed with T.H.O.T disease, so basically she left my dad for a rich caucasian man. Now that I think about it, I would have left my dad for that rich caucasian man too. With how I’m feeling right now I can care less how my dad feels, I’m leaving this house, and I’m not going to make my bed.
I go downstairs to see him watching tv, we just look at each other and he shakes his head at me and turns back to the tv so I flicked him off, then he does the same and laughs. How did he know? Anyway, I go and grab my keys and open the door. He rushes up and slams the door closed which gets us into yet another petty argument.
I am so sick of having these arguments with Marcus, I am his father he is not mine, why can’t he just understand that. He never listens to me, I am really going to punish him if boy wanna try me, no Dej Loaf. Then his wanna be grown ass always tryna flick me off behind my back like I can’t see it in the tv. Is that keys I hear? Oh no, where does he think he going? I get up and rush to the door to stop him from trying to leave. He always wants to claim he so grown, you know what if he wants to be grown then I’ll let him be. I cut him off from trying to talk and tell him to go wherever he wanted to go. Curiosity was all over his face but I was serious, I opened the door and everything. When I heard the car leave from the driveway I went upstair to my room and packed all of my things. I wanna know if he can survive being a man all alone with no rules. That’s right I’m going to start being a deadbeat dad, but I’ll come back to is just to teach my ungrateful son a lesson.
I call my big brother to tell him what I plan on doing. Imagine the Incredible Hulk but black, yeah that’s my brother. After he yelled at me and stopped calling the lesson stupid, he finally agreed to let me live in his guest house. I stuffed the car with all my luggage and all the food in the refrigerator, now Marcus is going to have to learn how to cook as well.
Before I got to my brother’s I stopped at Walmart to pick up a few extra things. As I was pushing my cart I saw this girl bending over, she had a banging body. Wait, that’s ex wife with that ugly rich white man. They just saw me, now they’re walking over towards me. What the hell could we have to talk about after 5 years of her leaving us. I never got over the thot, I loved her, but it’s not just about me, we have a child, Marcus was like our little fish. After the divorce I started dating again, but never found he one. Hopefully one of these days soon I will find “her.” Before my ex and her pet could walk up to me, I walked away, I have nothing nice to say, so I won’t say anything at all. But this isn’t stopping me from making a tweet “ Just saw the wanna be Kim Kardashian and Kanye West.”
Later that night Marcus came home with his best friend, Bobby around 10 o’clock, they party they wanted to ended up getting shut down, so they decided to Netflix and chill. The both of them use to be in the game together, that’s how they became friends.
When Marcus went to the kitchen to make them something to eat, he noticed all the food was gone. He frowned and repeatedly open and close the door as if that would make the food come back. He went upstairs to go ask his dad, but when he opened his dad’s door he saw he was not there and all of his things gone. He dashed down the steps to call his dad, but never got an answer, he called about 20 times. Bobby looked at Marcus in confusion, tryna figure out what was wrong with his best friend. Marcus told Bobby about the food being gone and his dad missing along with all his things. Bobby suggested to go to his house and rest and they will come back in the morning to see if his dad would be there.
The next morning Marcus drove to his house to see no change from last night. Marcus went upstairs to his room and just laid down and thought about it and finally got it. He couldn’t believe his father left him, like his mom, after their argument, he knew his father was truly done too.
Three weeks later on the other side of town Keith was just running a few errands. He made it to the post office and laid his head down on the wheel just thinking about everything. Of course he didn’t want to leave, and look like deadbeat but he just wanted to teach his son a lesson. When he looked up he saw a beautiful lady dressed in blue that looked lost so he got out of truck car to help her.
“Hello, you look lost miss, maybe I can help you.” I said.
“Oh hi, actually I was looking for a bus stop. I’m trying to get to, P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Louisiana High School,” she read off a paper from her purse. Funny thing is that’s the location of my son right now, that’s his school.
“Well there are no bus stops around here.My son goes to that school, I can give you a ride there if you don’t mind, ” I offered with my hand out for her to grab.
She smirked at me then pushed my hand away, “I’ll go, only because you’re cute. But if you’re lying I’m calling my big brother Bruce.”
“No need for all that. You never told me your name by the way.”
“Lisa. And yours?” she asked getting comfortable in my truck.
“Kevin.” As we rode together we got to know each other a little better. She’s going to the high school to apply for a position as the school counselor. I don’t know she seems kind of dingy to me.I then told her about the lesson I’m trying to teach to my son and boy did she go off on me about how stupid that idea was and to talk to him. Look at her trying to counsel me, but she’s not wrong this has gone on for so long and I’ve been ignoring all of Marcus calls, I know he's probably so lost in this big world. Still I can’t help to see how gorgeous she is though, maybe I’ll ask her on a date for later tonight. We finally reached the school and I parked in the “Vistor” parking spot. I got out the car to open the door for her.
“Do you need me to wait on your or you have a ride coming? I asked leaning on the passenger door.”
“My brother is coming to get me, but thanks for the offer and for the ride Kevin.” she said stepping close in front of me with that same smirk from last time.
“Cool cool. Well can I get your number and take you out on a date tonight?”
I asked hesitantly, Lord knows it has been a long time since I asked any women out.
“I would love to Kevin...”
“YES!” I cut her off. Oh damn, I said that out loud I meant to keep that in my head.
“Only if you talk to your son, right here, right now.” Oh how slick of her to challenge me. It is time, so I’m up to it. Not just for the date, but it’s been way too long, and I guess I do miss the boy. I take my phone out and call the school to dismiss Marcus early. I saw him walk out and when he saw me he was excited but tried to hide it, too bad I saw it already.
“Hey son, this is my new friend Lisa. Lisa, Marcus. Marcus, Lisa.”
“Nice to meet you Ms. Lisa.”
“Same to you Marcus. Your father has told me so much about you, but I’m going to leave you two alone so you can talk and go inside and get this application.” she walked away.
“So Marcus, how you been son?”
“Cool.”
“Just cool huh?”
“Where have you been man!? I come home to an empty house, no food in the house, your s*** gone, and you never picked the phone up one time. I had to do all stuff for the house as if I owned it. You know I can’t do much without you.  How could you leave me, like mom? You hate me that much?” I just looked at him, he finally understood what I was trying to do, while everyone kept trying to call my plan stupid, it actually worked. I started clapping, he looked at me weird.
“Marcus I been at your uncle’s house. I left because you love to claim you’re so grown. I had to prove to you, you need me, you’re not ready for “grown man
“ tasks just yet. You’re not a little boy, but you ain’t grown either, young adult. “ I explained to him.
“I guess you’re right, these few months have been nothing but hell, the lesson was stupid.” I mentally rolled my eyes, if one more person calls my plan stupid. “But I can’t even lie, it worked.” We hugged for a little minute, just a little, remember we men.
“Oh and if you compare me to yo mama again, imma bust ya ass.” We laughed together then Lisa walked out the door and to a car, I’m assuming was her brothers.
“Well I see everything went well, here’s my number.” She passed me a piece of paper with wringing on it. “See you later tonight Kevin, nice meeting you again Marcus.” She waved goodbye then got in the car.
There is just something about her. She seems so perfect, I hope this date tonight goes well, I want her to stay forever.

I ndecided to do a parody of Finding Nemo, but with actual people and had a twist of the son realizing she needed her father.