Butterfly | Teen Ink

Butterfly

January
I met him in the hail, the sheets of pseudo-snow causing cold convulsions and shivers down my spine. Suddenly, the hail stopped and a shadow hovered over me. I heard a loud smack-smack-smacking over my head. "I thought you might need an umbrella," laughed a boy next to me. He held the umbrella over me; his own body drenched, his hair sopping in his eyes.

April
He showed me how to change through a caterpillar on a warm spring day. The fuzzy little creature crawled across my index finger. "You know it's okay to be with me," he told me as he watched the caterpillar. "I know," I said not looking up, "but then what?" I asked, "I like my life how it is." "Well..."he began, "you're a caterpillar. Very cute, sweet, innocent...Very content with life. But you know it could be better...Just think about what a caterpillar can become." "A butterfly," I smiled.

August
We became one beneath a waterfall, the cool mist soothed my body of the summer's sweltering heat. "I love you," he declared brushing the wet hair out of my face. "I love you too," I whispered, leaning in for a kiss.

December
In high heels he broke up with me, it was cold. Like the day we met. Outside it rained, a warmer form of hail; the raindrops hid my tears. "I love you!" he cried, forgetting what he'd done to me. "I loved you!" I screamed back continuing to walk away.

"Am I a butterfly now?"

I wrote this in my creative writing class using the words: waterfall, caterpillar, hail, and high heels.