A Strange Day in July | Teen Ink

A Strange Day in July

October 7, 2008
By Anonymous

July wasn’t his favorite month but it was hers, so for just that reason he went. They walked for hours until the only thing lighting the way was the bright moon, itself the only contrast against the midnight sky. With the use of their constant night light they settled into a spot. Finally for the first time that night Aubrey spoke. She covered everything he had missed. School, the latest town gossip, and how her family was doing. “Sometimes its like time is going by so quickly.” She said softly. And with that statement Dean realized this went beyond the small talk she was desperately trying to create. Drifting into a comfortable silence Dean thought over Aubrey’s words. No matter how much he analyzed it, he still couldn’t grasp why this was happening. As he thought, he realized that Aubrey was right time was slipping by. His own mother’s words finally developed. “Once the cancer gets stronger Aubrey will get weaker. And the weaker she gets the less she’ll be herself.” But Dean still couldn’t accept this and wasn’t willing to prepare himself for what was bound to happen.

“Come on D its getting late.” He nods, and because her energy is almost gone helps her up. They walk to the edge of the lake. Picking up two stones Dean throws them forcefully into the water the first one for himself why can’t he be a better friend the second for God, how can he let this happen? Then before he turns to leave he picks up a third and final stone for Aubrey. He threw this one with all his might but the third came skipping back and it gave him a glimpse of hope. “Okay, I’m ready.”


The author's comments:
Hi I'm Blaire, I'm 16 years old and a junior.