Vietnam | Teen Ink

Vietnam

‘’ Hey Richardson’’, the sergeant barked at me, ‘’ grab your chute and prepare for the launch’’!

‘’ yes sir’’.

My name is Jeff Richardson, I was drafted into the army right after the Vietnam War started I’m a private first class. I grabbed my chute, my pack and prepared for the jump. Here we go I thought.
The lush jungle was all around me as I neared the ground birds everywhere as well as AA fire I hoped the plane wasn’t hit but that had to be expected in a war like this.

I felt a rush of wind as I hit the ground I wondered where was the plane then I saw it ahead in the distance on fire wrecked with two enemy soldiers investigating the damage one soldier had an anti air rocket , the other had a Ak-47. I quickly grabbed my M-16 firing a burst killing the one with the assault rifle the other seeing his dead comrade grabbed his assault rifle ducking behind a tree blind firing I retaliated firing at the tree debris spouting everywhere.

I thought to myself this isn’t working taking out my pistol aiming down the sight holding my breath I fired. I knew he was dead before he fell to the jungle floor walking over to the soldier’s corpse I picked up the assault rifle and walked on thinking what had happened to the plane and more importantly my comrades they had all been good men even the sergeant. I had a job to do so I pushed my thoughts aside and loaded my weapons.