The Secret Diaries of Teenagers | Teen Ink

The Secret Diaries of Teenagers

September 6, 2008
By Anonymous

Day 1

Dear Diary,

My name is Alice Redford, I am 14 years old and I go to James Campbell High School. I decided to start this diary after I read Anne Frank’s Diary. It was cool to think that someone my own age could write that passionately and profoundly. So I decided to write my own diary, I’ve had diaries in the past but I’ve never really kept up with them so Diary I am making this promise that no matter what I will write in this diary at least once a day. Today diary I’m out of school but I go back tomorrow. I am kind of excited; I can’t wait to see my best friends; Brooke and Carmen again. I also want to see Nina, Jessica, Brad, Randi, Chris, and Greg.

I’m nervous because Brad and I kissed before summer break and he is Randi’s ex-boyfriend. I like him but I don’t know why or how I am supposed to go out with him, even consider it? If I do go out with him then Randi might quit the volleyball team and that would be bad because the tryouts are going to be the first day of school. I really need to win this so I can become team captain. Brad is on the basketball team so of course I’ll see him every day during practice, oi! Well my mom is dating this guy named James. I never really liked that name and you know my name and James totally go together, it’s like they were meant for each other.
My mom got me this great new pink jacket and I have this red polka dot shirt that will go with that with baby blue jeans. I am going to look cute but that still doesn’t make me forget about Brad, Randi, and Brooke. Oh well, I have more important things to worry about. This winter break has been great though on a happier note! On the first day me and my mom, and James unfortunately, went to visit my grandparents in Florida. It was really fun we went surfing and snorkeling…I had a great time! We came back two week later and spent the rest of the break here. I’m actually not too nervous about ninth grade. Well that’s all that has really happened. I’ll write tomorrow.
Signed, Alice Redford





Dear Diary,

My name is Brooke McIntosh, and I am 14 years old. I’m really nervous about going to ninth grade, I have to get serious because I want to go to medical school and become a pediatrician…at least I think I do, my mom and dad say that they used to want to be a veterinarian but now they are caterers. It’s not that that isn’t a good job it’s just…I don’t want to be another caterer. I mean they won’t be able to afford college for me I have to get a scholarship or something. I remember when I was a little kindergartner I used to wish that I was in high school and I’d imagine that I was going to high school, I was going to high school I was all grown up. Now it is actually happening being poor and having big dreams is really hard.

I haven’t talked to my friends all summer except for Carmen but that was because we ran into each other at the mall. We are still friends it is just because we’ve all been really busy this summer. Randi and Alice have been playing volleyball at the community center and Carmen has been volunteering at the animal shelter…I have spent my time at the beach. I wonder why diaries have names. I don’t think I would want to name a book and say, Dear Ian or Dear Jill it just sounds like your writing a letter but you’re talking to a book…I don’t know it’s kind of psycho insane. Well mom is yelling at me to go to bed, must say goodnight. I hope my worries are totally ridiculous…goodnight Diary.














Dear Diary,
My name is Nina Young; I am not good with writing. Last year I almost failed English. I barely passed I had to spend half of my summer in summer school. My mom was so pissed; I am praying I pass this year. It isn’t that I don’t like writing I like it I read a lot too. I just never know what to write, I can’t write an essay like this in school! Everyone expects me to just snap to it but it is hard you know? Especially since my mom just go knocked up by this guy and had a baby. Yeah my little sister’s father is nowhere to be seen. She gets pissed at me for having to be in summer school but she can go have a baby!? We couldn’t afford the rent so we have to live with my grandparents now. I love them but they are really upset with my mom. I almost feel sorry for her. I say almost because she does the same thing to me. I wish I could talk to someone about it. I can’t tell my friends, I mean I can’t hide Courtney but I can’t tell them we couldn’t afford our apartment, we had to live with my grandparents, and my mom forgot to use a condom. Why is life so hard!!!!!!??????? I just want to get out of here as soon as I am eighteen. Every day until then will be absolute hell.












Dear Diary,


It is so annoying that people think that guys can’t have diaries. I like having a diary; it’s a way for me to practice writing skills according to my parents and for me a way to write out stuff instead of getting angry. You know I don’t dream like I used to. I say that because usually my dreams used to give me signs, but now I am all on my own. I’m really nervous about high school football. My dad is going to hate me if I don’t make it. Mom says he is just worried about my future but it goes way beyond that, he can’t play football so he has to live his life through me. He’s the geek who loves it and I am the jock who can bring his dreams to life. Too bad I can’t beat him up. I hate what I have to do tomorrow though; I have to tell Alice… I mean it was just one kiss but Alice is always serious with her crushes. You know the new school year is not bringing anything good.
Brad











Dear Diary,


My name is Greg. I don’t know what else to say, my life is pretty boring. This entire summer break I have only been at home listening to music, watching TV, eating, and sleeping. My mom and dad keep getting on my case and are threatening to take away my computer so I can’t email my friends, play games, and I’ll have to go outside. You know I’m fourteen years old I think I am beyond playing tag! I don’t care about it it’s so stupid. I don’t know why I am keeping this stupid diary…I guess I am just bored. Well my friends are IMing me got to go.




Dear Diary,


My name is Jessica Taylor; it has been a great summer break. I went to the beach, I went to the mall, and I saw most of my friends. It was nice. I am excited for ninth grade I don’t think it’ll be bad. I know most of the teachers and I like them. I love Math and English and I usually get along with teachers so I don’t have to worry about anything! My friends say I am too perky but you know why not be happy? Why should I be a depressed freak because other people’s lives suck? My mom and dad just went on their second honeymoon so I had a huge house party. Carmen and Chris were the only one of my really close friends who came, Alice I know was in Florida or something but Brooke and Nina I know weren’t busy. I think I’m drifting apart from them. I knew that I would be apart from some people like two years ago Nina and Alice were best friends, now they hardly speak to each other and I’m still friends with both of them…at least I think I am. Well so much for being perky. I hope I am not losing them
Jessica L. Taylor

Dear Diary,


My name is Christopher Richard. I had an okay summer break. I don’t really have anything to say until I start ninth grade. Well I have not talked to Nina in a long time. Since we broke up we haven’t been talking much. I didn’t expect us to be buddies but it has been four and a half months. I have broken up with people before and stayed friends with them. I think something is wrong. I really hope that my parents get me that dog that I want. I miss my older brother amazingly so I need something to fill the void! (I’m just joking I love the extra room in my bedroom I’ve just wanted a pet for a long time and I’m suckering my parents into it.) I don’t know what to give my mother for her birthday. I always give her some stupid perfume or homemade card and she smiles and says she likes it but I know that she hates it. I think I’ll get her…that book that she’s been wanting and flowers and a card. That’ll be perfect.









Dear Diary,


My name is Carmen Viloria…this summer, I don’t know whether it has been good or bad …I volunteered at the animal shelter but beyond that I haven’t really done anything but it is summer break you know? I hung out with Brooke at the mall once; she seemed kind of depressed so I didn’t want to stick around for that. I have my own problems and I don’t need her to burden me with hers. Is that selfish? I mean we are supposed to be friends, lately it seems like she’s growing into a major pain/drama queen. All friends fight, right? My birthday is going to be in three days. My dad says were going to have a party but I don’t know if I want to invite Jessica, Brooke, and Greg. Jessica is way to perky and flirty and she will steal every guy there, Brooke is too depressing, and Greg…Greg is depressing like Brooke and boring. Great I feel horrible now, I’m gossiping about my friends but I have to get this stuff out, I don’t want to lose my friends but I can’t stay friends with them if they are going to be like this. I don’t want to be a loner though.
Dazed and Confused…
CARMEN VILORIA










Dear Diary,


My name is Randi Garcia. There are two things I fell in love with this summer, volleyball and Brad Scotts. Volleyball came before Brad actually, it helped me get Brad. Alice and I want to be on the high school’s volleyball team next year so we go to the community/youth center this summer to practice with the other girls. So practice was over, and I was walking to go get something to drink and maybe check out the field, this was during Alice’s trip to Florida thank God, and I saw Brad. We didn’t have a bad break up the only reason we did was because we felt we were growing apart. When I saw him playing football with his friends though it just brought up all these emotions and before I knew it his game was over and we were making out behind the bleachers. Every day this summer I went to the community/youth center and practiced volleyball with the girls, I couldn’t then saw Brad. We didn’t always go behind the bleachers, sometimes he took me to the movies or lunch, and it was always a nice surprise. I couldn’t do it when Alice came back but those two weeks were awesome!! My mom and dad are good, they have a good little marriage but I want more than that. I’m not saying I’m going to get married to Brad, I’m 14 but I don’t want to be a housewife like my mom. She has a college degree for crying out loud, the way she acts you’d think it was in “being a good mother” Mrs. Garcia B.G.M. My dad is keeping a stable job with no college degree by the way! I guess in the Garcia household women will never be empowered. Well another day another one barefoot and pregnant.



Day 2





Dear Diary,


I hate, despise, Randi Garcia and Brad Scotts. Can you believe that they started seeing each other again?!? Today Brad came up to me and I thought we were going to talk about the kiss at the end of eighth grade year instead he started talking about Randi and admitted that they had been on dates while I was in Florida and they were back together! Randi saw me that whole time knowing that she was making out with Brad after practice! How could she betray me like that?! It would be one thing if she didn’t know about the kiss but I know she knew, I told her! Witch!! Brad is worse though because he was the one that kissed me! If he didn’t like me anymore all he had to do was call. It’s not like he doesn’t know my number and even if he didn’t he could’ve asked Randi behind the bleachers. I can’t believe that stupid ugly back stabbing little jerk. How could they do this to me? We’re supposed to be friends! At least we were anyone who can do something like this to me is now friend of mine! They will regret it; they’ll break up after a few weeks anyway. Jerks…stupid back stabbing jerks!! I need to call Brooke or Carmen or somebody just to talk so I can rant and then I’ll write it all down again….
Signed Alice Redford

Dear Diary,


Today was a great day!! Amazingly enough I liked all my teachers and guess what!? My mom is going back to college! Maybe there is hope for me yet. Oh then there was this call from Alice about Brad and Randi getting back together even though she kissed him? It serves her right though…I mean did she really think that one kiss was going to unite her and Brad? I feel sorry for her though, she really liked him well I’ll guess she’ll make her move on the next person. The reason I’m probably really happy is because today I am meeting my online pal JINX_321. He lives in town and we’re going to meet at the Starbucks across the street from the community center so Alice and I can talk about Brad, Randi, and her. I am so excited!!! I hope it all goes well, I have to go bye!!!





Dear Diary,
Today was okay, that is no indication for the rest of the year though. My teachers are okay; my favorite though is my Social Studies. She is really great, funny, frank, everything I like in a person. I have this assignment from English, he wants us to write a paper on the best time we had during summer. I’m going to write about Courtney being born. I love her, I feel sorry for her, she’s my sister and she’s got another 18 years of living in this prison I only have 4. I am glad she’s here because now I have someone to talk to and I can comfort her. I used to want someone there for me when I was a little kid but there was no one. For Courtney at least she’s not alone, she’s got me no matter what. Grandma and Grandpa have been a little better, a lot less harsh on mom. Well I’ve got to get started on my geometry homework and my essay. Maybe the rest of the year will be nice like this …















Dear Diary,


Alice totally overreacted to the news today. I talked Randi into doing it with me because I didn’t want Alice to think that she was a coward. As soon as I said it she started crying and swearing at me. She is so juvenile I’m sorry I ever even thought about kissing her. I’ve got enough pressure on me from my dad for football I don’t need her trying to stress me out over a kiss. Randi was cool about it she and I are going to go out on a date tomorrow at the park. Alice now refuses to practice with her she even said that Randi was a backstabber and called her a couple of other names. I am so disappointed in her. What I did was not that great but she didn’t need to be like that. We’ve all been friends since like 4th grade. I hope this all blows over soon. On the other hand her overreaction made Randi’s and mine relationship stronger.
Brad







Dear Diary,


Nothing to report I’m today. School was not that bad but still not that good. Maybe my mom and dad are right and I do need to get out more…I don’t know. Well if they are then tonight will be the first night. Tonight I’m going to meet my IMing buddy Bun_Bunx tonight at Starbucks. We talk a lot and almost always get along…it’ll be nice having someone around to talk to. Well got to go or I’ll be late.







Dear Diary,

So today was a good day. I talked to Carmen and Chris. At least I know that if everyone else ditches me Chris will be there. (Not Carmen she seemed a little off today.) I haven’t talked to Nina in a long time. I think I said that yesterday, didn’t I? I don’t know what she will say but I want to either be friends again or just get the conflict resolved. Well I’m off to call her, wish me luck.
Jessica L. Taylor

Dear Diary,


Chris here, nothing really amazing happened today but it was a good day. I talked to Jessica today; I missed her we’re going to go to the park in a few hours she said she had to do something else first. I have decided on the perfect gift for my mom, first I clean the entire house, then I get her the book she wanted, then with the money I have left over I take her to this new restaurant she’s been wanting to go to during lunch, and bring her home to a supper in bed. I’m going to go do my homework.



Dear Diary,

Today was okay I don’t really feel like writing I am so tired because I stayed up late last night. Goodnight
Sleepy and Tired
CARMEN VILORIA











Dear Diary,


Alice was drama today but I don’t want to talk about that. I’m dating Brad and just because she is unhappy about that don’t mean we’re breaking up. He’s taking me on a date soon, I can’t wait! I don’t know what the future holds but hopefully Brad and I are in it. I am trying to encourage my mom to get a job. I only have one little sister and two little brothers and they are all in school. She’s only cooking and cleaning all day. We’re starting a breakthrough I hope it works. Fingers crossed....


The author's comments:
...The story is based on true events partly. I really wanted to find a way to write about teens and I didn't want to right it in present tense, third person but I still wanted to be in their minds.
A way to do that without intruding and being able to do it past tense was writing in diary format. This was cool cause I can't keep up with my diary so it was fun making different events and dramas for them :]