The view from above | Teen Ink

The view from above

By CoolNanda SILVER, Mumbai, Other
CoolNanda SILVER, Mumbai, Other

There is no secret ingredient

In the distance, towering above the clouds and outside our reach, lies an unbiased and kind, but a piercing gaze. Leering through the mist, through the shadows and through all things opaque, it is omnipresent. Watching you sleep, watching you play, watching you laugh, it enjoys the contentment and peace. Peering through the walls it searches the happiness, it searches the serenity, the positivity, the optimism and all that’s right with the world. None the less, it knows of the darkness, it dislikes the foul but still keeps hope, for hope is all it gives, in its eternity of watching.

The scenery below is magical, extraordinarily tranquil, yet full of life and prospect, a world that can only be described as remarkable. From the mountains pointing back, to the water shimmering under the honey-dipped glow of the sun. Through the deep blue sky, across giant stretches of land, it surveys through all of life with extreme love and satisfaction. For a masterpiece like this can only be admired, never despised.

From the birth of time, it observes, day after day, year after year, and eons later, its greatest creation has taken stride atop the land. A creation with the power of intellect not brawn, one who can actually feel and experience the complete emotional spectrum. A being that is so alike itself, such that they have the power to shape the world in their own image, a phenomenon that has never occurred before. Such glory and might can be blinding though, and can go straight to the head, for pride has been designed in this way, it can be good and usher a time of happiness, or it can be bad, giving way for self-deceit and vanity. Such is the age of man, an era of pristine innovation and exuberance, while also a time of narcissism and ego. 

The land below is too far away to reach but close enough to watch, a paradise that can never truly be enjoyed. A creation too good to be true, a creation of pride, for its beauty is beyond compare, beyond the imagination of any living being. But with all this power, watching is the only way to experience this breath-taking achievement, for there is one thing that is not possible, one thing that can never be done, interference is forbidden. The one, self-created rule that cannot be broken.

Attentively observing the destruction, the carefree bloodshed and the murky grime, splash its colour on this untainted purity, a sensation of dread has been building up. Like a mother unable to protect her child, sorrow and pain are feeling that have become quite familiar to it. The perfect image spoiled by small mistakes, small mistakes that are accumulating and becoming bigger. A stupendous painting, tarnished by a misguided search for perfection. An extra stroke here, or an extract dab there, ruining the integrity, the already flawless portrait. How vexatious it must be, to be only able to watch, all alone, as your gift gets destroyed?

?
Although it has rarely been seen below, its existence is believed…...by most. Shrouded in myth and known by plentiful names, its power is not at all exaggerated. Some worship its power thinking it is to be feared. But others pray to the sky for a small piece of its love, a little blessing to make everything better. Tales of its many feats have been woven through history as myth and fables, but most of all as legends. Through all its might, though, there is only love for its creation, its children. It knows of the worries, it is aware of the despair and shares the burden of everyone. It can give us everything we want; well it has already given everything we could ever want, but it gives us something even more cherish-able, something more beautiful, something more powerful, more majestic. The power of hope. A force so delicate yet so strong. A power that can truly unite the world, push the human race do something better and most of all, help man become happier. Giving light to the darkest of places, illuminating the evil corners with joy, this hope has the ability to do anything. And it all begins with belief.

Through this hope it wonders if it can make a change. Can it cause man to take a different route than the dark path he already is on? A path that is destined to lead to his own demise. Can it bring a change to at least one person at a time? Can it believe in humans below to take the right route, not the short cuts that lie on their way? Can it trust man to make the right decisions in life? Or does it have to just watch in tears, as life below is destroyed? These are the terrible things it has to wonder, it has been forced to wonder, as it sits alone above the reach of its children, thinking and worrying about what is waiting for them in the future. Will it be bright or will it be dark, it can only watch from above, as man takes the decisions, to decide his own fate.